26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was abysmal again. Nice finish for the goal but nobody should be fooled by that.

He has moments in every game. Whether it’s a pen, or his chance tonight. Some people judge him solely on those moments. He misses…he’s shit. He scores…he’s great. Others judge him on overall performance and impact on the team and both have been dire all season.

Hopefully his goal tonight kickstarts his season but I would put out any money on it.
I do think the two missed penalties have lead to some overreactions in regards to his actual performances. For instance, he's not been any worse than Grealish but apparently he's "starting to show glimpses."

I will agree that Mahrez hasn't really got in to a rhythm this season. Whether that's down to being in and out of the team or just a dip in form who knows but I think his performances over the past three seasons should earn him a bit of leeway.

I do think the two missed penalties have lead to some overreactions in regards to his actual performances. For instance, he's not been any worse than Grealish but apparently he's "starting to show glimpses."

I will agree that Mahrez hasn't really got in to a rhythm this season. Whether that's down to being in and out of the team or just a dip in form who knows but I think his performances over the past three seasons should earn him a bit of leeway.
If grealish was scoring and assisting with the same frequency as mahrez has for the last few seasons I genuinely believe a certain vocal poster on this thread would be saying grealish should win the ballon do’r. That isn’t a knock at grealish either btw. This said poster seems to have an unhealthy obsession/lust for grealish yet seemingly they can’t stand mahrez who has produced much more in his time at city. Baffles me tbh. Could even say they are living on a fantasy island

No matter what mahrez does some city fans just will never take to him. Shame as he has been brilliant for us the last 3 years or so.

Great to see Mahrez get a goal again, lets hope he kicks on and find the form we all know he's capable off.

For me, it's the lack of creativity in Mahrez's game at the minute that's frustrating. He's morphed into a goalscoring winger when those opportunities no longer present themselves as frequently as previous years. His game used to be more well rounded than this

Only mahrez gets criticised for actually scoring. We'll taken goal, got in the right place to score actually coming in off the line and buried it but gets criticised because it was the third goal. Bizarre.

There was little difference between him and Grealish tonight in the time both were on the pitch yet the difference in opinions is quite different.

Both kept the ball and did the simple things, taking little risk. both created very little and offered minimal threat themselves. mahrez did at least have one passage of play first half where he went down the line and stood up and very useful ball to the back post which nobody was there to connect with but other than neither did any thing of note first half.

Hopefully that goal kick starts his season, as one of basically 2 regular starters not going to the world cup, we could be quite reliant on him post world cup, it's important he is refreshed and finds top form.

Other than his immaculate first touch, I find Mahrez a totally frustrating player to watch.
Tonight was no exception.
Underwhelming for 99% of the game and then nicks a goal against a defence that had all but given up, sending his fanboys into raptures.
Easily the most overrated City player of the last 10 years.

Would been nice to see him in the palmer role last night and palmer of the right he best position! Maybe Pep thinks he knows that role he needs to learn other roles in the team..

Scored a decent goal and did a few good things tonight..but he's so frustrating in my opinion.
He's got a fantastic first touch..he kills the ball virtually every time but then he instantly looks behind him to see who he can pass the ball to.
He needs to try and beat players rather than the safe option.

Not a huge fan, but tonight he was always dangerous, had his usual immaculate first touch, scored a beautifully taken goal AND HUSTLED BACK INTO HIS OWN HALF TO WIN BACK A LOST BALL AT LEAST TWICE THAT I REMEMBER! In short, very UN-Mahrez like, given recent performances! ;-)

He was FAR from the worst player in sky blue tonight and got 90 mins in his legs, which is a good thing….as it means he’s not starting against Fulham ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.