26 | Riyad Mahrez - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
One swallow of a shot does not make a Summer/season.

Although something good has happened, the situation may not continue to be good, and you cannot rely on Mahrez.

Decent last half an hour & a very good finish which should do his confidence some good. Let's not fool ourselves though for the first hour he was frankly the worst player on the pitch. Every decent attack came down the left whereas every time we went to our right side the ball was either lost or given back to Rico to re-cycle. Against a defender like Karim this should have been his moment to shine. I think Pep knew that and his reactions right in front of where I sat was telling. I think that once we put on Rodri to control the pace of our possession it helped him but none the less if he wants a bigger role later in the season he has to do much more.

I also don't buy into the statements from some that "he needs a better fullback on his side" or "he would be best in a different position" Fact is he's a 31 year old experienced player with skill to burn yet for some odd reason would rather not take a single risk and then when he does he often delays playing a better final pass.

Overall a good win with some very nice moments from the fringe players. Come on Riyad you need to push on and be more effective when the team needs it.

If Mahrez actually passed the ball straightaway instead of holding on to it, keeping it, keeping it, checking back, stopping, turning, and running into players and blind alleyways, and losing the ball, he'd be a lot more dangerous and productive on the pitch.

Only mahrez gets criticised for actually scoring. We'll taken goal, got in the right place to score actually coming in off the line and buried it but gets criticised because it was the third goal. Bizarre.

There was little difference between him and Grealish tonight in the time both were on the pitch yet the difference in opinions is quite different

Both kept the ball and did the simple things, taking little risk. both created very little and offered minimal threat themselves. mahrez did at least have one passage of play first half where he went down the line and stood up and very useful ball to the back post which nobody was there to connect with but other than neither did any thing of note first half.

Hopefully that goal kick starts his season, as one of basically 2 regular starters not going to the world cup, we could be quite reliant on him post world cup, it's important he is refreshed and finds top form.
I know, it's fucking ridiculous and just shows how biased some are here on Bluemoon. It's really just embarrassing.

Other than his immaculate first touch, I find Mahrez a totally frustrating player to watch.
Tonight was no exception.
Underwhelming for 99% of the game and then nicks a goal against a defence that had all but given up, sending his fanboys into raptures.
Easily the most overrated City player of the last 10 years.
I disagree.

He's the most beautifully frustrating player to watch. His first touch is sublime, the way he can beat a player is excellent but the tendency to hold onto the ball or ignore better options is also frustrating. I thought he was very good last night though, took his goal well and he worked very very hard off the ball to press and defend. Something he's always needed to be a bit better at. The Champions League suits him, because it's not as physical as the premier league and he just seems to perform more consistently in the competition.

Only mahrez gets criticised for actually scoring. We'll taken goal, got in the right place to score actually coming in off the line and buried it but gets criticised because it was the third goal. Bizarre.

There was little difference between him and Grealish tonight in the time both were on the pitch yet the difference in opinions is quite different.

Both kept the ball and did the simple things, taking little risk. both created very little and offered minimal threat themselves. mahrez did at least have one passage of play first half where he went down the line and stood up and very useful ball to the back post which nobody was there to connect with but other than neither did any thing of note first half.

Hopefully that goal kick starts his season, as one of basically 2 regular starters not going to the world cup, we could be quite reliant on him post world cup, it's important he is refreshed and finds top form.

Totally disagree with the Grealish comment. Jack was way more dynamic and direct than Mahrez, always trying to make something happen whereas Mahrez was the opposite, abdicating responsibility.

Mahrez took his goal well but for a player of his undoubted ability he was poor.

Each to their own mate. Shagger Grealish is making a strong bid for the position at the moment.
Haha! How can Grealish be overrated when his thread is full of clowns like the one you’re replying to telling us he’s shit on a daily basis.

Dislike how Mahrez gets slated and Grealish doesn't when he doesn't put up anywhere near the numbers Mahrez does for us.

No matter if Mahrez is going through a bad patch or not, he always contributes with goals and assists. The lad has to be the most underrated player in the Premier League.

Reading some of the comments on here or Twitter you'd never guess he was the player who single handedly won Leicester City a League Title.

Top player. We need to get behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.