27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
as a positive I can see skill, a burst of speed, can take man on etc. On the negative, slows down play, poor defensively losing possession far too easily, can't finish.

I'm hoping this is first season "getting used to Pep tactics". I reckon playing midfield for Pep is the hardest position on the pitch. Compared to defenders and strikers, it always seems to take longer for a midfielder to bed down
He's only had 5 shots in the league, so a bit early to say he can't finish. If his shot yesterday had gone in off the post, instead of out, he'd be overperforming his xG this season :)

Like you, I'm hoping he's taking his time to bed in. At least he's getting some game time, and racking up minutes early in the season, but less later on, is more typical Pep than a sign of failure.

One "positive" is that someone pointed out a while back that he's pretty raw for a 25 year old, so may well take a little longer to get up to speed. He was a late developer in football, and prior to joining City had only had two seasons as a regular starter.

Thought he played okay, apart from the error.

Just not sure if he will ever get enough game time, might get worse if transfer rumors that we are going for midfielders are to be believed.

And when he got up he wasn't up to chasing back for the ball, he's got an awful lot of improvement to make to get anything like a regular spot in the side.

We've seen this before though 12 months leaning the system or another Phillips?

99% of the time I can tell you within 5 minutes if a player is any good mate.

The only one I’ve been wrong on is Rodri but in my defence it did take him a good 2 seasons to get it, which is highly unusual.

Can’t get my head round how some people need “a season” to assess a player.

He’s bobbins.

99% of the time I can tell you within 5 minutes if a player is any good mate.

The only one I’ve been wrong on is Rodri but in my defence it did take him a good 2 seasons to get it, which is highly unusual.

Can’t get my head round how some people need “a season” to assess a player.

He’s bobbins.

The club should employ you then of it takes 5 mins.

Would've saved the club plenty of money if they had you to tell them who they shouldn't sign within 5 minutes.

There are no guarantees with transfers. I fear Nunes will go the same way as Phillips. We missed our top midfield targets last season and we got this wrong. It happens.

I see talent in sporadic bursts but nothing that tells me this guy will earn Pep's trust. Contrast his season with Kova's Josko's and Jeremy's. He is miles below what they have shown (and they still have a way to go) and yesterday he looked devoid of all confidence.
The comparison with Phillips are just about understandable. He didn't pan out , contrary to some of the experts on here who stated all he needed was a season with Pep. As you say, there's no guarantees with any transfer and Nunes is no different. Really hope he becomes a top player here but he's way off the standard required at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.