27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Comparison with Phillips is wrong ,this guy is press resistant ,good dribbler and can make yaya toure like runs from midfield .Needs to improve the final ball though.
Comparisons to Phillips are outrageous.

Nunes is a hugely talented footballer but also a footballer with little experience of the pro game.

Wrong how? What are we meant to watch when he doesnt come close to warranting a place in front of our best midfield and cant cut it when given a chance to start at home against the likes of Luton and Everton? We're talking a £50m signing here not some kid from the academy. Supposedly he offers something 'different' to what we already have, but the question should be does he offer MORE? He clearly doesn't which is reflected in his minutes this season despite KDB being injured for half of it. I know football isn't as cut and dry in that transfer fees guarantee the success of a signing but for the money paid hes proved a poor one.
I could say the same about other players on a regular basis…one of whom cost twice that much!

He was asked to play much deeper today, alongside Kova and even picking the ball up as the last man. That’s not his preferred game, but he did a job.

He had two slips today, which cost us, and hit the post after a good run in deep. He got 90 minutes under his belt and he did himself no harm with the manager.

We’ll see, but I say you’re wrong about him.

Come on blues I know we back our players and absolutely want them to succeed but the guy is nowhere near it.

His highlights today were giving the ball away for their goal and falling over every 5 seconds.

He’s average and he doesn’t fit our style.
And when he got up he wasn't up to chasing back for the ball, he's got an awful lot of improvement to make to get anything like a regular spot in the side.

We've seen this before though 12 months leaning the system or another Phillips?

Doku, Kova and Gvardiol are all in their first season and they showed thier quality. You don't have to wait for the second season to know the quality of a player. I hope he turns to be good, but he is not showing any signs of a quality player.
I’m not sure Mahrez did for much of his first season. Too easily knocked off the ball and not nearly productive enough. He turned out alright, didn’t he? Pep knows what he’s doing.

Akanji got some grief last season with comments like you can tell why Dortmund fans didn’t rate him.

There are no guarantees in football (as we saw with Phillips) but Pep is picking Nunes and it’s his first season.

Players are not machines and deserve our support unless there is a lack of effort

There are no guarantees with transfers. I fear Nunes will go the same way as Phillips. We missed our top midfield targets last season and we got this wrong. It happens.

I see talent in sporadic bursts but nothing that tells me this guy will earn Pep's trust. Contrast his season with Kova's Josko's and Jeremy's. He is miles below what they have shown (and they still have a way to go) and yesterday he looked devoid of all confidence.

as a positive I can see skill, a burst of speed, can take man on etc. On the negative, slows down play, poor defensively losing possession far too easily, can't finish.

I'm hoping this is first season "getting used to Pep tactics". I reckon playing midfield for Pep is the hardest position on the pitch. Compared to defenders and strikers, it always seems to take longer for a midfielder to bed down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.