27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Nunes has played 1540 minutes in all competitions. That's more than 17 full games (guess that's more than Ake in his first season here). He has played the equivalent of 13 full games in the PL and the CL alone. Clearly, he has helped us this season by allowing Pep to rotate players and keep them fresh for the run-in.

Also, he seems to be popular among the players and contributes to the friendly atmosphere.

Let's hope he will have a better 2nd season.

Edit: Ake played fewer than 1000 minutes in his 1st season. He had injuries, but he wasn't exactly great when he featured.

Difficult one.

He’s been largely injury free so available for selection throughout, and he’s also come knowing the League. That should have given him a strong basis.

Based on the evidence, though, it would be impossible for anyone to say that he can be viewed as a direct starting replacement for Rodri in games, unless he has Kovacic in beside him; and, even when they have been paired, it hasn’t always been error free and we’ve looked jittery.

Has he shown enough, therefore, to warrant a central midfield slot ahead of say one of the more creative players? Probably not, and especially not when starting against a top opponent.

However, he has shown glimpses of talent, so perhaps he could be groomed for the right-back role in the way Delph and Zinchenko were. Yet, that was obviously never our intention for him and we could have had Porro.

If those options aren’t workable, then it becomes harder to see how we can justify keeping him. If we are seeking to shift him, will it be easier to move him on this summer or next? People don’t like comparisons with Phillips, yet the harsh reality is that the longer his situation remains unclear, other clubs might make the comparison: Nunes doesn’t play > Guardiola doesn’t trust him> We’re not touching. We already have Cancelo and Phillips and don’t need any more on that list.

I’m hopeful that he can come good and start with a strong pre-season (something he missed), but if I’m honest, my hope at present is largely based on hope.

As I say, a difficult one.

Nunes has played 1540 minutes in all competitions. That's more than 17 full games (guess that's more than Ake in his first season here). He has played the equivalent of 13 full games in the PL and the CL alone. Clearly, he has helped us this season by allowing Pep to rotate players and keep them fresh for the run-in.

Also, he seems to be popular among the players and contributes to the friendly atmosphere.

Let's hope he will have a better 2nd season.

Edit: Ake played fewer than 1000 minutes in his 1st season. He had injuries, but he wasn't exactly great when he featured.
I have got to disagree.

Take a look at the data, in his first season, Pep has trusted Ake right from his first season. It's clear what disrupted Ake in his early days was a series of injuries that kept him out for pretty much 5 months. When he was injury free, Ake played regularly against all PL sides. Ake played 797 minutes in the PL against the likes of Arsenal Newcastle Chelsea etc. Ake was a reliable performer for us except for his early injury record.

Pep just doesn't really seem to trust Nunes with regular game time. Pep only plays him against the lesser teams or he's brought on when games are won. The only 3 PL 90 minutes games he's played for us are 3 home games to Luton, Burnley and Forest. In the FA cup he's only played against Huddersfield and Luton. In the Fifa World cup he played a full game against Urwawa reds but only 3 minutes against Fluminese. In the CL he played against lesser teams but against Leipzig he came on for 3 minutes in the home fixture, zero away and didn't play at all against RM.

Your minutes of 1540 minutes for Nunes, includes games for Wolves, (2 losses and a red card!), before he left, for City he has played only played 1360 minutes, 654 minutes in the PL.

Last edited:
Didn't make the Portugal squad unsurprisingly. I think that's good for him and us. He can have a full pre-season and look to completely nail down his role in the side.

I thought he would come in more as a holding player, but clearly Pep's concerns over his touch mean he's preferred further up the field. He has things to work on, and we're pretty stacked on options but whilst he might look a moody fucker I think he's integrated well actually and hopefully can kick on.

I have got to disagree.

Take a look at the data, in his first season, Pep has trusted Ake right from his first season. It's clear what disrupted Ake in his early days was a series of injuries that kept him out for pretty much 5 months. When he was injury free, Ake played regularly against all PL sides. Ake played 797 minutes in the PL against the likes of Arsenal Newcastle Chelsea etc.

The context matters, though.

Nunes has competed with world-class midfielders. When Pep started Ake vs Arsenal, he competed against Stones, who was still recovering from a shocking 19/20 season, and Garcia. We had practically won the league by the time Ake started vs Chelsea and Newcastle.

I remember that Ake had an underwhelming first season. Nobody would have cared had we sold him after that season. Fortunately, as often happens, he improved in the 2nd season and was largely outstanding in the next 2 seasons.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.