27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

I'm not sure he'll have been surprised by his omission from the national squad. He's only been in the 3 of the last 14 Portuguese squads and only played in one, 63 minutes in a meaningless friendly against Sweden when other players were out. His situation at the national level rather mirrors his situation at club level.

everyone, the club, the fans and himself, will be looking for more next season. He's had great experience this last 9 months so it's time to build on that.

make or break season for him next time. resale value should be still decent summer 2025 tho if he doesnt have a more productive season but can be included in some type of swap deal too I guess.
he has talent, but this not Wolverhampton here with all due respect.

He's been disappointing, Pep hasn't shown trust in him against any decent team.

Like Philips he's got a contract until 2028. Philips is on £150k/wk and Nunes is on £130k/wk. (Cancelo has a contract until 2027 on £250k/wk)

Last edited:
Will be interesting to see if rumours appear now that we are willing to let him go, as happened with Phillips last summer.

His lack of minutes is worrying, but Pep has done this before with players that went on to be successes with us (Bernardo, Sane both had patchy minutes in their first 6 months, Mahrez, Cancelo throughout their first seasons).

He has some skills but dunno where he fits currently. Clearly nowhere near the level of KDB/Foden in the 10/8 positions, but he’s not a Rodri type either. Best case is he learns to do what Kovacic has done in a double pivot this season.

Can't see any way he'll be here next season, genuinely got no idea how or where he's meant to fit in for us. A weird panic type signing and one we'll hopefully be able to move on from
There was no panic in his transfer. I believe things just fell into place to bring him in earlier than we would have planned to. Paqueta was the target, that fell through when the betting investigation came up leaving an opening in midfield, we had a long standing interest in Nunes from his sporting days, wolves had to make several big money sales to comply with FFP and so we bit the bullet and brought him in before he was sold to another club when we probably would have waited 12 months in an ideal world.

I look at his first season as a free adjustment period for that reason. I see a lot of potential in him, he has attributes few others in the team have. He can play anywhere in midfield for us with peps fine tuning. people forget he came in at the end of the window, he had no pre-season with us at all and we know that with the schedule we don't do much training during the season, it's all just fitness and game preparation.

this pre-season will be the first real chance pep will have to get him on a pitch for a few weeks and drill into him everything he needs to do. I expect a big improvement next season and think he'll play a much bigger role.

There was no panic in his transfer. I believe things just fell into place to bring him in earlier than we would have planned to. Paqueta was the target, that fell through when the betting investigation came up leaving an opening in midfield, we had a long standing interest in Nunes from his sporting days, wolves had to make several big money sales to comply with FFP and so we bit the bullet and brought him in before he was sold to another club when we probably would have waited 12 months in an ideal world.

I look at his first season as a free adjustment period for that reason. I see a lot of potential in him, he has attributes few others in the team have. He can play anywhere in midfield for us with peps fine tuning. people forget he came in at the end of the window, he had no pre-season with us at all and we know that with the schedule we don't do much training during the season, it's all just fitness and game preparation.

this pre-season will be the first real chance pep will have to get him on a pitch for a few weeks and drill into him everything he needs to do. I expect a big improvement next season and think he'll play a much bigger role.

There's quite a lot of excuses in there for a player who cost £60m. Gvardiol had the same circumstances regarding training, joining a new team, etc, as did Kovacic, and they did alright.

Nunes wasn't even close to getting meaningful minutes from about march onwards.

He's been here a year and I couldn't tell you what he's meant to be good at. It's alright, not every transfer will work out, but let's not pretend we'll perform alchemy with him over the summer

There's quite a lot of excuses in there for a player who cost £60m. Gvardiol had the same circumstances regarding training, joining a new team, etc, as did Kovacic, and they did alright.

Nunes wasn't even close to getting meaningful minutes from about march onwards.

He's been here a year and I couldn't tell you what he's meant to be good at. It's alright, not every transfer will work out, but let's not pretend we'll perform alchemy with him over the summer
There's no excuses, they're legitimate reasons, kovacic was signed incredibly early, and gvardiol in time to have a little bit of pre-season, nunes had zero. by the time he had signed the season was well underway and we were already in play, recover, prepare mode.

You'd think by now people would have learned and recognised the need to give players more than a year before declaring them flops and wanting rid. Nunes has a lot of potential, whether pep can make him fulfill it remains to be seen but its ridiuclous to be suggesting we dump him this early. We would have got rid of Rodri, Bernardo and Ake amongst others if we did what you're suggesting and dumped every player who didn't hit the ground running.

Will be interesting to see if rumours appear now that we are willing to let him go, as happened with Phillips last summer.

His lack of minutes is worrying, but Pep has done this before with players that went on to be successes with us (Bernardo, Sane both had patchy minutes in their first 6 months, Mahrez, Cancelo throughout their first seasons).

He has some skills but dunno where he fits currently. Clearly nowhere near the level of KDB/Foden in the 10/8 positions, but he’s not a Rodri type either. Best case is he learns to do what Kovacic has done in a double pivot this season.

I thought he would come in and play alongside Rodri and we saw glimpses of that being effective early in the season but his touch and control is lacking at times and I think Pep saw it as too much of a risk to play him there. His performance at Wolves was shocking and was a major set back for him. He didn't really get a sniff in the league after that.

Gets a full preseason with us now which is a good thing and hopefully can kick on.

Whilst we are winning things it doesn't really bother me if one or two signings don't come off. He might come good or he might not and if we lose money on him it doesn't bother me either. Plenty in the academy make up those losses each year.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.