27 | Matheus Nunes - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He does a lot of really good attacking movements, and with time, we will learn to use these. His vision is great as well, and so are his runs with the ball, 1v1s, the turns. He is also fast and hardworking off the ball. These are his strengths. Right now, he lacks the chemistry with his teammates and loses the ball too easily, but these are relatively easy things to fix. Overall, for me it was a decent performance today. He obviously lacks any sort of rhythm, but he will only get better.
Nice, balanced critique.

Surprised his attitude isn’t being mentioned here.

He’s a flouncing ponce, stands there with his arms in the air when a team mate doesn’t read a pass or one of his stupid flicks fails. Sits on the floor with his arms in the air bitching to the ref when he’s been fairly tackled rather than getting up and chasing the ball.

Needs to sort himself out.

Last edited:
On the BBC's 'rate the players' Nunes received the lowest player rating from all players on the pitch tonight. He gave the ball away on a number of occasions, but his bad body language disappointed me, he needs to sort that out imo, Pep won't like that.

Yea the commentators pointed out how pissed off he was when doku didn't play him in. That said, that appears to be one of Nunes' traits - playing the ball forward from midfield then getting forward quick for the return ball behind their defence, so you can see why he was frustrated

Very early days yet and you can see all of the new lads need time to gel IMO

Surprised his attitude isn’t being mentioned here.

He’s a flouncing ponce, stands there with his arms in the air when a team mate doesn’t read a pass or one of his stupid flicks fails. Sits on the floor with his arms in the air bitching to the ref when he’s been fairly tackled rather than betting up and chasing the ball.

Needs to sort himself out.
You mean a bit like Kev? ;-)

The fact is that this player has potential, cause he dribbles well, passes well, quick on the ball, good defending skills, etc. He has foundation, on top what, something amazing can be built.

Midfield area is where Pep knows everything better than anyone on this planet, therefore the mixture of his potential and Pep's knowledge will do the job, I'm 100% sure.

The only issue is attitude, is he ready to commit and listen and do his daily chores properly.
If he does that, eventually he will meet all the requirements.

Like in Grealish's case. We all knew that Jack had great skills, but he needed time to adapt and find his best position, role in this team. Same was with Cancelo. I mean, if in 5 minutes, even on youtube video, player has enough highlights to make you believe that he is the great player, would suit City, it means that he really is and will, it's just manager's job to use him correctly and give opportunity to rise.

Kalvin unfortunately doesn't have these abilities, even on youtube you can't find his highlights where you can say that - yes, this guy suits City. That's why from the very beginning he was destined for failure. I had same feeling with Nolito or Mendy or number of other players. You can't depend on youtube, but it certainly tells a lot about a player in a very short time.

On the BBC's 'rate the players' Nunes received the lowest player rating from all players on the pitch tonight. He gave the ball away on a number of occasions, but his bad body language disappointed me, he needs to sort that out imo, Pep won't like that.
Good point about the body language, that's been apparent from day one, he has a bit of an attitude which is not seen in this team and I would imagine not appreciated, a lot of work ahead on this guy.

He could be, in the longer run, replacing Gundo's goal contributions from midfield. He was on the end of moves a couple of times, found himself a pocket of space another couple of times to take a shot. Missed all of them, but positionally he's almost there.
He needs to be more in control of His emotions to be successful in a Pep team, patience is the key or you end up like his compatriot Cancelo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.