3-5-2 leaves us badly open to counter attacks....

It worked extremely well against Chelsea.

4-4-2 didn't work great against Southampton last week and we were vulnerable against them.

I don't think our fitness is there yet. Liverpool looked sharper today.

If we can get the win next week then 2 weeks before the next game gives the players more time to get fit even if away on international duty and gives aguero and Barry time to get fit.

I must say I don't like it, I don't think it will work well in the PL as a regular thing, closing a game out maybe. In Europe it may work, but if I was a player I'd want to stick to one system not keep changing from one competition (game) to another. Not sure why were fixing something that wasn't broke either.

Too many un-necessary team changes for me today too.

To be fair we're always open to the counter. Both QPR's goals came from counter attacks and both of Chelsea's goals in the Community shield came from counter attacks.

I don't think 3-5-2 or 4-2-4(formation we used against Southampton and a lot last season) are long term answers. If we get a deep lying midfielder in before the end of the window I think we will line up like this -

Hart

Richards Kompany Lescott Clichy

De Jong New cm

Yaya

Silva/Nasri Tevez Aguero

most goals scored and most clean sheets last season playing four at the back. Why fix something which isn't broke?

In my opinion it is never a good thing when a team has to change formation to accommodate the second string of players. The 3-5-2 did not fail, but rather your players played badly.

Basically Milner not good enough to play regularly in the place of Nasri or Silva in a 4-4-2. IN 3-5-2 you theoretically get the best of his work rate and still have the threat of his crossing. It's the best formation for him.
Kolo not good enough to cover in a 4-4-2.
De Jong's game is exposed in a 4-4-2 and to get the best of him you need 3 in midfield. So 3 midfielders in the centre is best for him.
Then there is Kolorov, who is weak defensively, slow, but good at set pieces. In theory the 3-5-2 should cover his weakness a bit and allow him to whip crosses in.

Liverpool managed to hit lots of great balls to Sterling in the first half and he had a fantastic touch. Milner did not get back quick or often enough and Kolo was left exposed at the back. Nasri had a very poor game and since Toure was not at his best you could not take control of the midfield. The 3-5-2 formation whilst it gets the best out of your weaker players, does not suit your best players. Balotelli was isolated up front and Nasri had no one to link up with.

supercrystal7 said:
In my opinion it is never a good thing when a team has to change formation to accommodate the second string of players. The 3-5-2 did not fail, but rather your players played badly.

Basically Milner not good enough to play regularly in the place of Nasri or Silva in a 4-4-2. IN 3-5-2 you theoretically get the best of his work rate and still have the threat of his crossing. It's the best formation for him.
De Jong's game is exposed in a 4-4-2 and to get the best of him you need 3 in midfield. So 3 midfielders in the centre is best for him.
Then there is Kolorov, who is weak defensively, slow, but good at set pieces. In theory the 3-5-2 should cover his weakness a bit and allow him to whip crosses in.

Fair analysis mate..who is your team ?

Liverpool managed to hit lots of great balls to Sterling in the first half and he had a fantastic touch. Milner did not get back quick or often enough and Kolo was left exposed at the back. Nasri had a very poor game and since Toure was not at his best you could not take control of the midfield. The 3-5-2 formation whilst it gets the best out of your weaker players, does not suit your best players. Balotelli was isolated up front and Nasri had no one to link up with.
<br /><br />-- Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:05 pm --<br /><br />
Labatt Blue said:
supercrystal7 said:

Then there is Kolorov, who is weak defensively, slow, but good at set pieces. In theory the 3-5-2 should cover his weakness a bit and allow him to whip crosses in. fair analysis mate..who is your team?

Fair analysis mate..who is your team ?

We played 4-2-2-2 against Southamption, and were also badly exposed to counter-attacks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.