3-5-2 leaves us badly open to counter attacks....

So what system do you all think we should play? I've seen people bashing 352, 442, 424 and god knows what else in this thread.

We seem suspect to counter attacks in any formation at the moment!
QPR last season, and Southampton this season was all about teams counter attacking us, and they were both in our usual formation.

Zardon132 said:
So what system do you all think we should play? I've seen people bashing 352, 442, 424 and god knows what else in this thread.
Frankly the 352 suits us best.

We need a CD or maybe not.

.........Kompany....Lescott.....Rodwell..........
Richards...........................................Clichy
...................Yaya..........Nasri.......................
...........................Silva..................................
................Tevez...............Aguero.................

Control possession and defense will be sorted. If we keep trying to defend by adding more poor vision players to the team, we will not suceed. Had De Jong not played today, many would have sworn had he been in the game we wouldn't have been under so much pressue. A fallacy many believe and swear by. Our ability to control pressure springs from our possession, and not some hard man making flying tackles in the middle.

Liverpool proved this point today exactly... I lost track of the amount of chances the team conceded today. 3-5-2 is something I saw Napoli and Juve use a lot last season... but the team shouldn't use 3-5-2 anyway. I can see us getting eaten alive in the CL if we use this wretched formation against an Italian team.

Lomas has a lob on said:
We seem suspect to counter attacks in any formation at the moment!
QPR last season, and Southampton this season was all about teams counter attacking us, and they were both in our usual formation.

Pretty much this.

Southampton gave us a good going over on the counter last week, and were able to double up on Zab throughout. Lack of pace and mobility across the midfield is a big problem, both in terms of defensive cover and going forward. Hopefully, Sinclair and, with luck, someone like Dembele, might help to rectify that, but decent cover at centre half is a major must before the window shuts too. Kolo struggled against a 17 year old kid yesterday, and Lord knows what Sterling would have done to Savic had he played. Lescott is far too slow for 3-5-2 as well, which is why (I'm guessing) Bobby went with Kolo yesterday instead. Whatever, 8 goals conceded in our last 4 competitive games ain't good.

My take on our best formation:

---------------------- GK ----------------------
------- CDR ------- CDC ------- CDL --------
WBR ------------------------------------- WBL
--↓----------------- DMC -------------------↓--
---------- CMR -------------- CML -----------
------------↓----------- AM/ST ---------------
------------------ ST ---------------------------

Team sheet:
GK: Hart/Pantilimon
CDR: NEW/Zabaleta
CDC: Kompany/Rodwell
CDL: Lescott/Zabaleta
WBR: Richards/Milner/Zabaleta
WBL: Clichy/Kolarov
DMC: NEW/De Jong/Rodwell
CMR: Yaya/Silva/Nasri
CML: Barry/Rodwell/Nasri/Yaya/Silva/
AM/ST: Tevez/Aguero/Silva/Yaya/Dzeko/Balotelli
ST: Aguero/Tevez/Dzeko/Balotelli

We really need another CD as both Kolo and Savic are not good enough.
De Rossi (or J Martinez) as our DMC would be immense.

Kurple said:
Blue Haze said:
We're open to counters because we're slow. Yaya is exhausted after... pretty much everything. So we have Milner, NDJ, and Kola protecting the back 3. Slow, moderately slow, slow.
we are open to counters because we attack with 8 players

If we all go charging upfield like George Armstrong C and his 7th Cavalry, the weakest teams in the league can do yer. Just needs an ordinary journeyman pro to deliver the simplest of chances and bingo!

I've said it repeatedly since the summer, it isn't a formation I like, partly because it doesn't suit our personel and partly because it leaves you vulnerable wide against good teams. Liverpool exploited this frequently yesterday.

But to fucking play it without either of your key 'hole' players in the most advanced role was managerial madness. As soon as we went back to 4, pushed yaya forward then introduced silva, we looked dangerous. Silva would have opened Liverpool up in the first half hour and the game would have been over. Instead we had flat track bully nasri wasting possession and slowing up moves, rendering our domination useless through lack of chances. We had yaya rendered ineffective by playing too deep.

Nasri can play a bit but not in that role in that game. I knew we'd lose as soon as I saw that team. Grateful for the point. I hope we learn some lessons from that. Drop the fucking 352 and do what we are good at:winning games through swift attacking football- through yaya and silva.

Didsbury Dave said:
I've said it repeatedly since the summer, it isn't a formation I like, partly because it doesn't suit our personel and partly because it leaves you vulnerable wide against good teams. Liverpool exploited this frequently yesterday.

But to fucking play it without either of your key 'hole' players in the most advanced role was managerial madness. As soon as we went back to 4, pushed yaya forward then introduced silva, we looked dangerous. Silva would have opened Liverpool up in the first half hour and the game would have been over. Instead we had flat track bully nasri wasting possession and slowing up moves, rendering our domination useless through lack of chances. We had yaya rendered ineffective by playing too deep.

Nasri can play a bit but not in that role in that game. I knew we'd lose as soon as I saw that team. Grateful for the point. I hope we learn some lessons from that. Drop the fucking 352 and do what we are good at:winning games through swift attacking football- through yaya and silva.

Yep, without Clichy in a 3-5-2, it should never even be contemplated.

It's a formation to change to in certain circumstances, United, last year, being a decent example.

The backline are always treading fine margins when it comes to picking up red cards, standing so square-on and exposed to runners.

if this week don't come a few new players we will see a lot of times this 3-5-2 formation this season.

we can't play all the season 4-2-2-2 becouse we don't have got a backup for silva and nasri and they can't play 60 game. nor yaya can.

with the current players 3-5-2 is the only one way to rest those players

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.