3-5-2 leaves us badly open to counter attacks....

I was under the impression we'd use this to break down teams who sit back and play for the draw.

tolmie's hairdoo said:
Didsbury Dave said:
I've said it repeatedly since the summer, it isn't a formation I like, partly because it doesn't suit our personel and partly because it leaves you vulnerable wide against good teams. Liverpool exploited this frequently yesterday.

But to fucking play it without either of your key 'hole' players in the most advanced role was managerial madness. As soon as we went back to 4, pushed yaya forward then introduced silva, we looked dangerous. Silva would have opened Liverpool up in the first half hour and the game would have been over. Instead we had flat track bully nasri wasting possession and slowing up moves, rendering our domination useless through lack of chances. We had yaya rendered ineffective by playing too deep.

Nasri can play a bit but not in that role in that game. I knew we'd lose as soon as I saw that team. Grateful for the point. I hope we learn some lessons from that. Drop the fucking 352 and do what we are good at:winning games through swift attacking football- through yaya and silva.

Yep, without Clichy in a 3-5-2, it should never even be contemplated.

It's a formation to change to in certain circumstances, United, last year, being a decent example.

The backline are always treading fine margins when it comes to picking up red cards, standing so square-on and exposed to runners.
dead right. Kolo, lescott and zabaleta are not at their best with people running at them. Milner and kolorov are not quick enough to be wing backs but clichy and richards could do it. It could be used at home against shit teams, a bit like the Chelsea game, where the wider two centre halves push wide so the wing backs are effectively attackers. But not in games like yesterday. And with silva on the bench and yaya fucking holding. Yes, I'm annoyed at 2 pts wasted. But it isn't the end of the world as long as it teaches the manager a few lessons.

Hope you are well mate. Currently in south Wales myself.

The conundrum though about the 3-4-1-2 is that it allows 2 forwards to be played AND a player in the hole, no other formation allows this luxury whilst retaining an element of width.

I'd have gone with Tevez as lone striker yesterday with Yaya advanced.

Problem will be when Sergio is fit again as Bob will be keen to keep both Carlos and Sergio as starters, I don't think the 4-4-2 with Nasri and Silva as wide midfielders works, plus it results in Yaya having to play deep.

Toughie.

Didsbury Dave said:
I've said it repeatedly since the summer, it isn't a formation I like, partly because it doesn't suit our personel and partly because it leaves you vulnerable wide against good teams. Liverpool exploited this frequently yesterday.

But to fucking play it without either of your key 'hole' players in the most advanced role was managerial madness. As soon as we went back to 4, pushed yaya forward then introduced silva, we looked dangerous. Silva would have opened Liverpool up in the first half hour and the game would have been over. Instead we had flat track bully nasri wasting possession and slowing up moves, rendering our domination useless through lack of chances. We had yaya rendered ineffective by playing too deep.

Nasri can play a bit but not in that role in that game. I knew we'd lose as soon as I saw that team. Grateful for the point. I hope we learn some lessons from that. Drop the fucking 352 and do what we are good at:winning games through swift attacking football- through yaya and silva.
Very harsh to call Nasri a flat-track bully considering his vital goals against Chelsea and Spurs, but there's nothing like a good bit of over-exaggeration on bluemoon i suppose.

Lots of players had a poor day yesterday but Nasri certainly wasn't helped by having no Merlin and a static Balo.

i'm all for trying new tactics but why do it at Anfield?

i know we played it pre season but why not try it out in the league at home when we are 2 up at half time.

just seemed to me a pointless exercise, i would always start with last years formation and see what happens next.

any formation that sees Silva and Lescott dropped seems wrong.

thought Rodwell did well when he came on.

Tricky_Trev said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Very harsh to call Nasri a flat-track bully considering his vital goals against Chelsea and Spurs, but there's nothing like a good bit of over-exaggeration on bluemoon i suppose.
I stand by the point trev. Silva is a miles better playmaker than nasri. He will get involved in the short passing with little neutral short balls against teams who we are dominating. He gets the odd good goal. But he doesn't frighten teams or open doors in anything like the way silva does. Especially in games line yeaterday's when we are playing poorly against fired up opposition.

Rammy Blue said:
Lots of players had a poor day yesterday but Nasri certainly wasn't helped by having no Merlin and a static Balo.
agreed. But you can't accommodate silva and nasri in the 352. Yet another reason to bin it.

Didsbury Dave said:
Rammy Blue said:
agreed. But you can't accommodate silva and nasri in the 352. Yet another reason to bin it.

I'm not sure it needs binning yet, it just requires the right personnel. Silva in the hole with Clichy and Micah wide plus a new CB would make it work better for example.

I don't think, as I said above, that playing Silva and Nasri as widemen in a midfield 4 gets the best out of either of them.

The 4-2-3-1 with Yaya has seemed to be our best option, it certainly works at the end of games however that then means one of Carlos or Sergio can't play.

Keeping players happy is going to be tough for Bob this season.

Millwallawayveteran1988 said:
It worked extremely well against Chelsea.

4-4-2 didn't work great against Southampton last week and we were vulnerable against them.

I don't think our fitness is there yet. Liverpool looked sharper today.

If we can get the win next week then 2 weeks before the next game gives the players more time to get fit even if away on international duty and gives aguero and Barry time to get fit.

Exactly. The biggest disappointment for me was the failure to challenge effectively for the second ball when we supposedly had a 5 man midfield. Maybe Mancini is waiting for Sinclair to play wing back along with, I dunno, Milner? Hopefully, Kolo's comedy turn for the season is now over.

Also, Silva needs time to recover although I cannot work out why Balo looks so lethargic. Did the Euros really take that much out of him?

Anyway, I can no longer work out what Mancini is really on about. Kidology or is he really holding out for one or more signings?

After two games, only questions from me, although I think we have plenty to be positive about. After we play Chelsea away on 25th Nov, following Champs League games, we'll have a better idea of where we're at. As it stands, 4 points after coming from behind in both games is a good sign to me and I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep worrying about Hart's 'left-sided weakness'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.