30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

I grew up around the corner from the ground.

I remember being a kid of about 6/7 and being frightened on match days - the crowds walking past ours, the “drunk men”, the smell of cigarette smoke and the noise when we scored used to turn me inside out. It seemed like a very “adult” thing.

But at the same time, I absolutely loved that fear. The noise when we scored would frighten me but it would excite me even more.

The first time I ever went I was about 9/10. I remember being petrified of either team scoring as I didn’t want to experience the “noise” at close quarters.

We did score. I initially froze but then something inside said “fuck it, this is amazing, get stuck in” and I went absolutely fucking mental and bounced all over The Kippax like the biggest Blue on the planet. Once the buzz has died down, a fella picked me up and put me on his shoulders whilst The Kippax belted a few songs out. It felt fucking unbelievable.

I lost my City virginity and it was fucking heaven.

I then fell in love with the place and the Club. The only proper “love of my life” I’ve ever had if I’m brutally honest.

To have experienced an emotional connection like that, to a place, a tribe, is something I know I am incredibly lucky to have experienced.

What a place.
Great post mate.

I agree. I went in the old Kippax regularly and Platt lane now and again. I went in the new Platt lane only once Iirc and the new Kippax a handful of games. I'd be sat there in the north stand looking at those two stands and thinking what an absolute cheap bastard Peter Swales was! Both those stands were done on a budget befitting a club lower than our status so yeah, moving became a no brainer, especially as the capacity of COMS was several thousand higher. I still miss the place though.
I'd never admit it at the time but main Rd was awful once the Kippax was gone. The new Kippax was big, but totally out if sync. And so blatantly cheap.
kippax-new.jpg

I grew up around the corner from the ground.

I remember being a kid of about 6/7 and being frightened on match days - the crowds walking past ours, the “drunk men”, the smell of cigarette smoke and the noise when we scored used to turn me inside out. It seemed like a very “adult” thing.

But at the same time, I absolutely loved that fear. The noise when we scored would frighten me but it would excite me even more.

The first time I ever went I was about 9/10. I remember being petrified of either team scoring as I didn’t want to experience the “noise” at close quarters.

We did score. I initially froze but then something inside said “fuck it, this is amazing, get stuck in” and I went absolutely fucking mental and bounced all over The Kippax like the biggest Blue on the planet. Once the buzz has died down, a fella picked me up and put me on his shoulders whilst The Kippax belted a few songs out. It felt fucking unbelievable.

I lost my City virginity and it was fucking heaven.

I then fell in love with the place and the Club. The only proper “love of my life” I’ve ever had if I’m brutally honest.

To have experienced an emotional connection like that, to a place, a tribe, is something I know I am incredibly lucky to have experienced.

What a place.
Fucking hell what a post.
We must have lived within a few hundred yards of each other.

When the ground had the 4 floodlights, there was a floodlight thing on the Kippax roof on the halfway. I started going in 1975 and never saw this used and it was replaced in circa 1990 when a new set of lights were installed in the roof for the length of the pitch.
When was this halfway floodlight put on the roof and why did it stop being used?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.