30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

If Maine Road was rebuilt as it was in 1994 and we went back there, most people would want to go back to the Etihad after one game especially now we’ve got the safe standing and even more so when the extended North Stand is built.
Rose tinted spectacles.
Bollocks that. Most supporters i know preferred Maine Road to the Etihad.

I loved being stood on the Kippax The singing and banter, the smell of stale beer, fag smoke and Westlers burgers. Oh, and the reek of stale piss in the bogs. Swales was far too tight a **** for any Domestos.

The surges after a goal was scored was like a mini tsunami, and if you didn't position yourself properly you'd get swept about 10 to 15 yards down the terracing. The Kippax didn't look that big on TV but it was when in there. It held about 26000 which was half our capacity when the old Platt Lane stand was in use.

I don't dislike The Etihad, its quite an attractive modern-ish looking stadium with unrestricted views but I'd go back to the Kippax for every game if i could.

I think most clubs lose something as they move ground. Most of my Welsh family are Swansea and you see their eyes light up when they talk about Vetch Field. I only know the Liberty Stadium which I quite like.

I had one season ticket in The Kippax but sat in DD Upper. I was 20, wore my hair longer, loved Oasis, would walk to the match and often had food in Rusholme afterwards. Those days are never, ever coming back.

I loved being stood on the Kippax The singing and banter, the smell of stale beer, fag smoke and Westlers burgers. Oh, and the reek of stale piss in the bogs. Swales was far too tight a **** for any Domestos.

The surges after a goal was scored was like a mini tsunami, and if you didn't position yourself properly you'd get swept about 10 to 15 yards down the terracing. The Kippax didn't look that big on TV but it was when in there. It held about 26000 which was half our capacity when the old Platt Lane stand was in use.

I don't dislike The Etihad, its quite an attractive modern-ish looking stadium with unrestricted views but I'd go back to the Kippax for every game if i could.
The kippax could hold 35.000 in it's heydey and they reckon there was 40.000 when city had 84.000 in the ground against stoke

Might have preferred it then but you were 30 years younger. Now you’re an FOC how long do you reckon you’d last on the old Kippax before wanting to go back to the Etihad?

The 5-1 and the Charlton games will forever live in my memory. Like everyone else I was convinced
we would fuck it up against Charlton and then the party started when the 3rd goal went in!
As for the 5-1 we all turned up secretly praying not to be end of a severe and embarrassing drubbing...
I don't really hold Maine Road with the same degree as reverence as some on here, as it was dump. However,
the night games, with those floodlights were special.
1473306540253-GettyImages-458963606.jpg

Might have preferred it then but you were 30 years younger. Now you’re an FOC how long do you reckon you’d last on the old Kippax before wanting to go back to the Etihad?
At 59 I'm only a semi FOC thanks. I stand up at the Etihad if i can as i hate sitting down at games. And why do you think I'd want to go back to The Etihad? I'll never prefer the Etihad over Maine Road.

The kippax could hold 35.000 in it's heydey and they reckon there was 40.000 when city had 84.000 in the ground against stoke
I have read that. It was reduced to 26000 in the mid 70s and I've been to plenty of games back then when it was jam packed. Probably more than the capacity on several occasions as it wasn't hard to bung the guy on the turnstile a few bob to get in.

The new Kippax was shit though. Platt Lane also looked cheap. None of it matched, big gaps in the corners. Made the ground look a mess.

Moving was a no brainer.

The new Kippax was shit though. Platt Lane also looked cheap. None of it matched, big gaps in the corners. Made the ground look a mess.

Moving was a no brainer.
I agree. I went in the old Kippax regularly and Platt lane now and again. I went in the new Platt lane only once Iirc and the new Kippax a handful of games. I'd be sat there in the north stand looking at those two stands and thinking what an absolute cheap bastard Peter Swales was! Both those stands were done on a budget befitting a club lower than our status so yeah, moving became a no brainer, especially as the capacity of COMS was several thousand higher. I still miss the place though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.