30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

As a teenager it was the most amazing place ever.
I felt absolutely massive.
Football hasn't been the same since that day
Same, as a young teen in the mid 80’s the whole day out was a buzz but climbing those stairs at the back of the Kippax then walking out and seeing the pitch was something else.

When the ground had the 4 floodlights, there was a floodlight thing on the Kippax roof on the halfway. I started going in 1975 and never saw this used and it was replaced in circa 1990 when a new set of lights were installed in the roof for the length of the pitch.
When was this halfway floodlight put on the roof and why did it stop being used?
I started going with my dad in the mid 60s and used to feel almost as if my life would be complete if the spotlights on top of the Kippax ever came on but I never saw it !

I can remember things getting a bit squeezed occasionally but never felt seriously unsafe on the Kippax. I remember going to Maine Road after Hillsborough and thinking that it would not have happened there as there were no barriers creating pens.

You are probably right that it would not get a safety certificate as it did take a while to empty.
I felt seriously unsafe on the charlton game, I was only 15, never seen the kippax so rammed, only time in my life I’d felt scared amongst our own fans, it was dangerous that day

First one miles better than the second...
I had that as a poster (was the centrefold from a programme) on my wall for years as a teenager. Dreaming of City hitting it big with a belting stadium.

Thanks to a combination of David Bernstein, Richard Leese, Howard Bernstein and probably a few others (Trevor Brooking at Sport England, even?) we ended up with one with the CoMS.

Just need that finishing touch at the Etihad now with a proper home stand like the one they’re building. Hopefully it becomes as iconic as the Kippax!

Last edited by a moderator:
Who went on the pitch?!

My Father wouldn’t let me! Looking back he must’ve thought I was an idiot for wanting to, I was only 12 yet thought I was going to face up to Chelsea fans giving it the big’un, haha

We both went to Wednesday away the week after in the home end. He gave me a lecture in the car about not giving ourselves away… the Wednesday fans clocked we were City fans in minutes but they were class, they had a good laugh with us and SheffUtd got relegated so they were in good spirits. Always liked Wednesday and their fans ever since.

Niall Quinn’s debut was a night match, I think it was against Chelsea, he equalised quite close to the end with a header, I think from a David White cross, I remember the noise of the Kippax that moment to this day, unbelievable!
Of all the goals/games this goal and the scenes following will always stay with me. I was stood at the back on railings and the kippax just exploded . Also Quinnys penalty save against Derby !!. Would sell a kidney to have 10 minutes back in that shed. I love the Etihad but nothing gets near those standing days.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.