30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

But there were 'only' 47000 there... would be interested to know the actual attendance that day, I'd say it was well over the official capacity of 52000, lots of fans spilled out of the Kippax to the gap between the wall and pitch. Was definitely dangerously overcrowded, fortunately not aware of any injuries but tragic events in Bradford the same day.
I was in the seats and hundreds were stood on the aisles, the Kippax was absolutely rammed, way over capacity...

Isn't it the case that when you're fourteen or so, you absolutely love that, though? I liked the sense of danger.
Boxing Day against Everton, 1968. The official figure (on this site) says only 53,000. Sorry, but I just don't believe that. We were crammed in like sardines on the Kippax. Easily the match at which I was most closely boxed in, anywhere, at any time. If you needed a piss — luckily,I never did, at that age — you were going to do it on the spot. No question of going down the steps for your Wagon Wheel at half-time, either.
My first game was v Leeds, boxing day 1976, the Kippax was that packed you couldn't get in!!! 100's on each of the steps leading up to it, carnage but I loved it as a 11 year old :)

My first game was v Leeds, boxing day 1976, the Kippax was that packed you couldn't get in!!! 100's on each of the steps leading up to it, carnage but I loved it as a 11 year old :)

I've got a theory, which is a conviction actually, that Boxing Day matches are often absolutely rammed — all over the country. It's men getting out of 48 solid hours of kids, wife, and home (and relatives they probably didn't want to see particularly). They go to their other home.

somebody should do a VR Maine Road and how it would look standing in the stands

I was in the seats and hundreds were stood on the aisles, the Kippax was absolutely rammed, way over capacity...
We were on the main stand benches that day, more and more people kept coming in as the game went on, and I ended having to sit on my dad's knee (I was only 8) as all the room on the benches went. The steps became jam packed too with loads of people sat on them who couldn't find any space on the benches. It was rammed.

I've got a theory, which is a conviction actually, that Boxing Day matches are often absolutely rammed — all over the country. It's men getting out of 48 solid hours of kids, wife, and home (and relatives they probably didn't want to see particularly). They go to their other home.
Or the fact that the vast majority of adults were off work.
How many of us now work on Boxing Day? I have done for 9 of the last 12 years

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.