30th April 1994 - The Kippax's Last Stand

I have mentioned it on here before but I am sure my Nan & Grandad (both born 1899) had told me when they first went to the newly oppened Maine Road you could walk from one end to the other at half time when the teams changed ends? I seem to remember they told me you had to pay a small charge to get from one part to the other? but there was a way round it,
Sadly I cant remember the exact details as its 30 odd years since they told me.

i used to love the buzz walking through the tunnel nearest to the away fans,seeing the pitch , especially on night games,daft things but mean a lot.

My dad and grandad nearly always parked their car near the eye hospital and we walked to the ground, was always exciting getting glimpses of the floodlights inbetween the houses walking up.

Seen some rght fights in and around the kippax,riots outside it, i will never forget tbe bananas and inflatables on the kippax in the 1980's and that bloody " trombone " at the back.of the kippax during the 5-1 promotion game v charlton,what a day on the kippax that was.
The 5-1 and the Charlton games will forever live in my memory. Like everyone else I was convinced
we would fuck it up against Charlton and then the party started when the 3rd goal went in!
As for the 5-1 we all turned up secretly praying not to be end of a severe and embarrassing drubbing...
I don't really hold Maine Road with the same degree as reverence as some on here, as it was dump. However,
the night games, with those floodlights were special.

I have mentioned it on here before but I am sure my Nan & Grandad (both born 1899) had told me when they first went to the newly oppened Maine Road you could walk from one end to the other at half time when the teams changed ends? I seem to remember they told me you had to pay a small charge to get from one part to the other? but there was a way round it,
Sadly I cant remember the exact details as its 30 odd years since they told me.
From the scoreboard end into the Kippax was 6d. There was a gate in the railing with an old codger letting you through. Alternatively, jump the wall and leg it.

The 5-1 and the Charlton games will forever live in my memory. Like everyone else I was convinced
we would fuck it up against Charlton and then the party started when the 3rd goal went in!
As for the 5-1 we all turned up secretly praying not to be end of a severe and embarrassing drubbing...
I don't really hold Maine Road with the same degree as reverence as some on here, as it was dump. However,
the night games, with those floodlights were special.
The tallest floodlights in the country. Our only claim to fame for many years.

Reactions: PPT
From the scoreboard end into the Kippax was 6d. There was a gate in the railing with an old codger letting you through. Alternatively, jump the wall and leg it.
Was that after after the Kippax had a roof put on or while it was still the open as the Popular side? I think Nan & Grandad were talking about when the ground was first opened & there were no roofs (appart from the Main Stand)

Was that after after the Kippax had a roof put on or while it was still the open as the Popular side? I think Nan & Grandad were talking about when the ground was first opened & there were no roofs (appart from the Main Stand)
After the roof.
There were many div 1 grounds where you could change ends at half time and, of course, in lower leagues it was de rigeur. Came to an end in the sixties iirc.

Kippax was great in the 70's when City were good. It was shit in the 80's bar a couple of games. Don't miss Maine Road in the slightest. Wouldn't trade what we've got now for anything.

After the roof.
There were many div 1 grounds where you could change ends at half time and, of course, in lower leagues it was de rigeur. Came to an end in the sixties iirc.

Still happens at some of the old rugby grounds. And was common at most until maybe 20 years ago.

Often accompanied by a little half time punch up at places like The Boulevard, as home and away fans crossed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.