31 | Ederson - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's you who is missing the point. Ederson could become a better goalkeeper. You seem to think that because the team is successful, there's no need in your mind for him (or presumably any other players) to improve.
That's not the case. There's huge scope for Ederson to improve his game. He has significant gaps in his basic skills.
As a professional sportsperson, he should be working on them. If he has been, we should see an improvement on his all-round game. But we haven't. He's still cautious in his six-yard box and reckless outside the penalty area. That leads me to think that he doesn't see any need to Improve his own game.
That's arrogance in a nutshell, and if Pep is prepared to accept it, Ederson will never be a truly great goalkeeper. If you and other fans are happy to accept it, that's your perogative. I just believe that Ederson should and could be a better keeper if he works on the basics.

It's the simple things that make a big difference.
I cant argue with that. Ederson suits our play because of his distribution but some of his basic technique could be improved. His angles, his hand strength, his 1 on 1, but most of all his decision making and judgement on when to go and when to stay (think the Arsenal penalty). If Werner doesn't back out of the challenge with Eddie or worse still extends his leg to try and get the ball, Eddie hits him full square and would have been sent off in a second, he was just bloody lucky that Werner bottled it. That could have made Tuesday very different and I really hope the coaching staff go over that incident with him. The last thing we need as we get to the sharp end is Eddie being sent off.

You make some very good points about Eddie but thats overstating the problem and explains why you sometimes get a bit of a pile-on.

Perhaps I am, but goalkeepers have to keep on top of all aspects of their game.

Complacency and/or arrogance can quickly lead to a Joe Hart style drop of form and confidence. That's why I've never said that we should get rid of Ederson and suggested that Ortega should be used every now and then in the PL to keep him on his toes.

No it's you who is missing the point. Ederson could become a better goalkeeper. You seem to think that because the team is successful, there's no need in your mind for him (or presumably any other players) to improve.
That's not the case. There's huge scope for Ederson to improve his game. He has significant gaps in his basic skills.
As a professional sportsperson, he should be working on them. If he has been, we should see an improvement on his all-round game. But we haven't. He's still cautious in his six-yard box and reckless outside the penalty area. That leads me to think that he doesn't see any need to Improve his own game.
That's arrogance in a nutshell, and if Pep is prepared to accept it, Ederson will never be a truly great goalkeeper. If you and other fans are happy to accept it, that's your perogative. I just believe that Ederson should and could be a better keeper if he works on the basics.

It's the simple things that make a big difference.
I'm sure they work on any weaknesses all the time and try to improve all his game, in fact all players games, why wouldn't they. No player or keeper is perfect at everything though, but if the good out weighs the bad you stick with the player. They do, at least in the opinion of Pep.

I'm sure they work on any weaknesses all the time and try to improve all his game, in fact all players games, why wouldn't they. No player or keeper is perfect at everything though, but if the good out weighs the bad you stick with the player. They do, at least in the opinion of Pep.

Going round in circles won't convince me or anyone else with experience/knowledge of goalkeeping that Ederson is a good keeper.

We see silly, basic errors in almost every game. That suggests that he's not working hard on the basics in training, whatever you or Pep thinks.

I think by his standards, he's had a below par season , but so have a few other players. However You look through all the other keepers in the Premier league and I wouldn't swap him for anyone, you could maybe put an argument in for Alison at Liverpool. I think that shows how good he's been for us over the past few seasons.
Id get courtois/neuer in a heartbeat though

Going round in circles won't convince me or anyone else with experience/knowledge of goalkeeping that Ederson is a good keeper.

We see silly, basic errors in almost every game. That suggests that he's not working hard on the basics in training, whatever you or Pep thinks.
Whatever Pep thinks you know better, okay. The suggestion Pep or any top coach for that matter would tolerate him not working hard in training is, frankly ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.