4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hear me out… we all got told he was great at Leeds, but was he? Did anyone actually watch him and think ‘this is a City quality player’?

Right now he’s giving me the same feeling as Cucurella - that we’ve got a fairly average PL player who got overhyped by virtue of being one of the best players on his midtable team.
Not sure but I can put it this way, I felt he was as important to us as Grealish was to Villa at the time. I’d still take him back tomorrow.

Don't really get the negativity.

He's learning to play the same role that Rodri struggled to get to grips with in his first season and he's had injury problems holding him back from getting any real momentum.

I say this as someone who didn't really rate him before he signed and was completely underwhelmed when he did show up.

He's not an important player for us, why not just wait and see how it unfolds? I don't really get this fascination with pretending a specific player is somehow dragging the team back and that they have to leave. Especially when they're a squad player.

Anyone even suggesting they'd be happy with Perrone filling in if Rodri picks up a knock is off their head.

He's learning to play the same role that Rodri struggled to get to grips with in his first season and he's had injury problems holding him back from getting any real momentum.

I say this as someone who didn't really rate him before he signed and was completely underwhelmed when he did show up.

He's not an important player for us, why not just wait and see how it unfolds? I don't really get this fascination with pretending a specific player is somehow dragging the team back and that they have to leave.

Anyone even suggesting they'd be happy with Perrone filling in if Rodri picks up a knock is off their head.
If Rodri got injured god forbid, then he may be an important player for us, although Pep may still pump for Gundogan in the DM role.

He's not an important player for us, why not just wait and see how it unfolds? I don't really get this fascination with pretending a specific player is somehow dragging the team back and that they have to leave. Especially when they're a squad player.

Bravo blue, short memories on here.

Hear me out… we all got told he was great at Leeds, but was he? Did anyone actually watch him and think ‘this is a City quality player’?
Yes he was great for Leeds and England. I've probably seen him play more for Leeds than you (or anyone for that matter) have seen him play for City.

Right now he’s giving me the same feeling as Cucurella - that we’ve got a fairly average PL player who got overhyped by virtue of being one of the best players on his midtable team.
Cucurella suffered from the wrong club buying him. City wanted him, Pep wanted him and had a space in the squad that fitted him well. Chelsea came in with no rhyme or reason and trumped City's bid by like £15m.

Phillips has been mostly injured, and or out of favour.

He's obviously a good player but many on here love to judge someone not good enough even without seeing the player play.

Gonna repeat stuff I put in the post match thread.

Phillips is a decent player but he needs game time. A clever man I know is a Leeds season ticket holder and says that Phillips has always needed a few games to get back to his best after a lay-off.

He's not and never wil be Rodri MKII. Rodri is probably our most important player; even more so than Erling. We know we can score lots of goals without a centre forward but Rodri is now the glue that holds the team (play) together.

Whether KP will get up to speed (not that he is very quick) at City remains to be seen and it could be, as some press speculation has suggested, that he will be sacrificed in the summer in order to get another midfielder in. I wouldn't be surprised though if this time next year he is still here and getting more favourable reviews: I mean it's not like anything like that has happened before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.