4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looked rusty last night, but that is to be expected considering. Showed some good signs, but is nowhere near match fit. Reality is he is back on the bench for the next few weeks unless injuries hit us and that isnt going to change regardless of what he does in 90 minutes of FA cup football.

He needs to stay fit, get in top shape and then get a proper pre season under his belt and we might see the best of him.

I'm under the impression that he's still worried about his shoulder. That's why he looks casual at times as he's not wanting to risk it while he builds his fitness.

Some of his passes into players ahead of him were fantastic. But, overall, he's unbelievably rusty.

Not giving up on the guy, but he's got a lot of work to do. He's not crap - nobody we sign these days is, but that doesn't mean it'll necessarily work out for him either.

My concerns are that he isn't a kid. He's 27 now and this is only his 3rd season the top flight - two previous seasons with Leeds where they finished bottom half. He's never played in Europe before. Those points don't give massive confidence. I expect Bielsa raving about him went to Pep and Txiki's heads a bit.

He got loads of praise for England, but to some extent I think that's because him playing quite well was almost a nice surprise. People want surprise callups to succeed. And he did well, albeit playing in a hugely defensive England lineup. Well, we setup pretty different to Southgate's England. What we do - and what we are regularly up against - is a huge step up for him.

I thought he looked either slow or casual last night, I'm not sure which. Some decent moments, but caught on the ball a fair bit and muscled out of it more than I'd expect. Not giving up on him, but he's got a few huge months ahead. He needs to prove he's got the right attitude and can take onboard the tactics. Those are the very minimum - but he'll still need to prove he's capable as well, even if only as a deputy.

thought he was very good first half, average second half (looked tired) needs constant supply of minutes which is hard when Rodri has been undroppable for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.