4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only way he's going to get a run of games is if (heaven forbid) Rodri gets injured and is out for some time.

We may find that it's KP who's needed for 100% of our games from some point this season. Only then will we find out if he's up to the task.
Exactly.

Doesn't bare thinking about as while he is getting up to speed[if possible] we are gonna be in the shite.

Here are the players you could level your opening salvo at in their first season:

Stones.

Rodrigo.

Bernardo.

Grealish.

I've watched Philips' game in the past for Leeds and he was good then (often rushed back before fully recovered from injury) and now he's struggling with his game cos he's rushing the settling in period. He's trying to jump to his Leeds type influence but, as we all know, he's been injured so it's been a set back, so he's nervous.

I expect him to have shit loads flying around his mind when he steps on a field like whether the next knock/ challenge is an injury or a foul and how long out it may cost him if injured.

That's gotta be tough for him.

I would rather he grow into his City career by short game passing and positioning and expanding over time. We haven't bought him for numbers or for the hell of it and we can't legislate for how long players take to come from Guardiola's cocoon of schooling and fly as a beautiful player.

Get off the kid's back, let him get his rhythm and his confidence up and we'll see what he becomes.

Totally with you on the sentiment here Bigga, everything you said is spot on.

Playing for Pep is a big challenge for any player - when the player has zero experience of European football and challenging for titles it's an even bigger ask. I hope he proves he's up to it, but I'm just not sure if it'll turn out that way. At least he's up and running now!

Here are the players you could level your opening salvo at in their first season:

Stones.

Rodrigo.

Bernardo.

Grealish.

I've watched Philips' game in the past for Leeds and he was good then (often rushed back before fully recovered from injury) and now he's struggling with his game cos he's rushing the settling in period. He's trying to jump to his Leeds type influence but, as we all know, he's been injured so it's been a set back, so he's nervous.

I expect him to have shit loads flying around his mind when he steps on a field like whether the next knock/ challenge is an injury or a foul and how long out it may cost him if injured.

That's gotta be tough for him.

I would rather he grow into his City career by short game passing and positioning and expanding over time. We haven't bought him for numbers or for the hell of it and we can't legislate for how long players take to come from Guardiola's cocoon of schooling and fly as a beautiful player.

Get off the kid's back, let him get his rhythm and his confidence up and we'll see what he becomes.
I appreciate what you're saying he's had a pig of a time with injury since he arrived and I genuinely feel sorry for what appears to be a likeable lad. The players you mentioned though I'm not having a comparable

Stones, Bernardo and Rodri all early 20s two of whom coming from another league and in Bernardos case we'd all seen first hand how good he was in that Monaco side and he did well for us 1st season in the main.

The problem is he's never going to get chance to get into a rhythm is he given him competing with someone as good as Rodri. After last night I'd guess he'll be lucky to start another 3 games this season and so the circle continues. Ideally we need someone who can do a job in there and play further forward like Gundogan can.

Hopefully I'm wrong and the lad kicks on and becomes a good option for us but as it stands I'd be surprised if he's still with us in 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.