4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not a lone cdm, never has been and never will be. For this reason he's not the Rodri deputy we should have. We need 1, a like for like with shared rodders strengths who knows the role ect. Or 2, someone completely different, think a Fernandinho type, athletic, constant aggro, master of the dark arts yet still good on the ball.

Phillips is slow, follows the ball around like a dog without the pace or energy to match that approach(why he needs a defensive partner). He is a good passer but dallies too long on the ball at times and is prone to giving it away cheaply.

I like the lad but we need someone else

If he is still here next season, I can only keep praying to God that Rodri does not get injured.

The problem is he really is jsut not elite at anything. All our new signings struggle their first season, but all of them showed 2 or 3 aspects where they were elite: Rodri (positioning, passing, shooting), Bernardo (dribbling, energy, tactical intelligence), Ake (1v1, velocity, jumping/heading), Gundogan (running from behind, quick combinations, reading passes from the opponents), Grealish (keeping the ball, drawing fouls, dribbling), even Gomez (good crosses, good link up play, decent shooting). Kalvin is just bang average in pretty much everything. Low energy, low effort, average long passes, bad tactical awareness and positioning, bad controls, he has good shooting though, but that's it.

Not hungry enough, didn’t want the ball enough not a Pep player and we need to replace him with Bellingham.

Being poorly on his unveil day kind of set the tone , left his boots and heart at Elland Road, not as hungry as I'd hoped and Pep has hinted at this already.
Will be lucky to start v Sheff U and might be playing for them next season!

Usually HM takes a long time to master in this team but Phillips seems to be miles off the pace. It's a shame because there was a lot of excitement around him.
Was there really? He was going to be a decent back-up to Rodri at best. Now i'm wondering if we can even afford to rest Rodri against Sheffield United.

The likes of Grealish and Rodri took a long time to adapt. But they were never liabilities the way Phillips is. I think there is a serious chance we cut our losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.