4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I have noticed is if you timed him in taking the ball, turning and passing, it's a lot longer than most city players (controls not bad more turning and speed of thought I think) so he holds it up and in a city system of out maneuvering people/ overloads that could be a problem. He seems a lovely lad, strong and 2 footed (ish) but not sure city is a good fit for him.

As I say, it was regularly said about Nathan in his first year with us, on this very forum. He's our defender of the season.
Ask yourself this: when did you last see him play a 90-minute game? When have you ever seen him play two successive 90-minute games, I'm not saying he's good enough, I'm not saying he's bad enough. I'm just reserving judgement. Pep took a long, hard look at him. He can make mistakes like anyone else, of course. But he must have been seeing something.
He we provably saw what I was seeing which was a really good midfielder in a Leeds team . He is showing nothing at all in the minutes he is getting which is a big worry for him .

He looked lost again, I understand about systems and taking time but the guy jogs around aimlessly, doesn't seem to understand his role whatsoever and when he received the ball his first thought was to get rid of it as fast and as easy as he could, I feel bad because he is obviously much more capable than he is showing but at the moment he's doing nothing to help himself, if he busted a gut today he could have been starting at Wembley next weekend, as it stands Rodri will have to play yet again after a tough match midweek because he can't be rested.

There's probably loads of people who have played midfield at a lowish level who could have done exactly what he did today. I've really wanted him to achieve, he seems like a nice lad and I think the marauder version we see for England is a good player...but he's not for is at all

He's not been great so far, but not willing to write him off yet. I didn't want us to sign him, but will trust the people at the club know what they are doing. He has been injured this season and needs time to get used to playing for us before we can judge him I think.

As the guy who gave absolute pelters to Rodri & Ake in recent years, I’ll hold firm on slating him but I will say he looks completely unfit right now.

Some decent passing but a long ways to go in understanding our system.

His best hope imo is to play very little this season (just seeing out games here and there), putting in massive effort on the training pitch to understand where to be and what to do, putting in massive effort to understand everyone else role so he's "in sync" like Rodri is, has the best and most professional summer and preseason of his career and starts well next season.

Or tell Pep he wants to go and everyone wins as we bring in someone more ready-made and he does great in a more familiar role in a midtable club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.