4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
cant really judge him on that second half, we lost all shape and rhythm, time to see if he sinks or swims is when he has to come in for rodri in a full team,we have to give phillips time, he will be playing in a pivotal position , and if we look back half this forum was slagging "plodri" off

We need to judge him after a full pre-season and a few months injury free , he doesnt look match fit when he plays which is understandable after a stop/start season and a pointless World Cup where he was never going to play any games , cannot undertand why Southgate even selected him.
He was a good player in an average Leeds team , and like Jack a big fish in a small pond and will take time to adjust , he appears to have the right attitude an personality , not many of our signings are an instant success , we should know better than to write him off after a few months.

He hasn't started a game with all the best players around him. When he gets that luxury, that's the time to judge him. I think it'll probably happen before the seasons end, so, fingers crossed for the lad.

Everyone can see he's not looked great so far but we shouldn't be piling in on him. Rodri, the guy he's replacing mostly, has turned into an unbelievably class act in the last 15 months or so. Many neutrals are saying that Rodri's the best central midfielder in Europe, and therefore probably the world at the moment. Kalvin has to replace 'The Master' every time he comes on. Cut him some slack.

Can't be having Declan Rice holding his hand all the time.

Also, needs to learn proportional navigation - stop passing the fucking ball where the intended recipient isn't going to be.

How many fucking times does he play the ball short or so slow that the intended target has to check, and run the other way?

Grealish, Rodri, Ake etc and how they struggled in their first season but they all still had standout qualities that shone through when they were struggling for form.

Grealish was low on confidence and still is a pretty crap finisher but he was one of our best chance creators and retained possession well.

Rodri was struggling to adapt to being a lone holding midfielder and learning which spaces to fill to protect from counters but he still had great ability in the air, used his body well to shield the ball and could spray passes out to the right wing.

Ake looked like he felt like he didn't belong and was too timid in possession but he's always been a great one on one defender and has an incredible leap.

What natural abilities does Phillips have that you can see consistently running through his game, even in his worst form?

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see enough underlying talent to make him worth investing the time into.

cant really judge him on that second half, we lost all shape and rhythm, time to see if he sinks or swims is when he has to come in for rodri in a full team,we have to give phillips time, he will be playing in a pivotal position , and if we look back half this forum was slagging "plodri" off
"Can't really judge him on..."

Alas, I've heard that way too many times this season when it comes to Phillips. He's just not very good. That's the regrettable truth. He's far too immobile and doesn't have anything close to the requisite technical ability to play in our midfield. Didn't make sense at the time; makes less sense now.

Grealish, Rodri, Ake etc and how they struggled in their first season but they all still had standout qualities that shone through when they were struggling for form.

Grealish was low on confidence and still is a pretty crap finisher but he was one of our best chance creators and retained possession well.

Rodri was struggling to adapt to being a lone holding midfielder and learning which spaces to fill to protect from counters but he still had great ability in the air, used his body well to shield the ball and could spray passes out to the right wing.

Ake looked like he felt like he didn't belong and was too timid in possession but he's always been a great one on one defender and has an incredible leap.

What natural abilities does Phillips have that you can see consistently running through his game, even in his worst form?

I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see enough underlying talent to make him worth investing the time into.
Think you’ve summed it up well there.

Kalvin isn’t a shit footballer by any means, he wouldn’t be a premier league player otherwise, but I’ve said before, and before we even signed him, he’s a very basic and average player (like a modern day David Batty), Ill suited, not only to cover for Rodri, but as a City midfielder in general, think Pep knows it already, and I think Kalvin sees he’s not a fit too.

I genuinely wish him the best when he undoubtedly moves on, he seems a nice, decent lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.