4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needs to gain a greater understanding and grasp of where the space is to receive the ball, both from the defenders (who are looking for the triangle) and the attackers (who are looking for the relief pass to maintain possession).

He is very languid, and jogs around ALOT! He needs to realize that once you understand the space, you CAN float in and out of it, like Rodri (and now Stones) are doing. However, it’s not a natural picture (in his own mind) where he should be now AND after the next pass has been made. That is putting him behind the flow of the game and the player on the ball is looking for him in space he isn’t occupying…yet! And, to get there needs a sprint, not a jog!

It’s really as simple as saying to yourself, “A has the ball, where am I in his triangle?” and “When A gives it to B, where to I need to shuttle to in order to be available in B’s triangle?” It is a CONSTANT 5-10 yard shuttle movement, and there’s a reason that, when Pep sees its breaking down a bit, he puts Bernardo into the second midfielder role!

Pep has said repeatedly that Bernardo not only has the Magic Eye, but the skill and technique to play EVERYWHERE! He understands SPACE and how to both occupy it and create it for others. He has the ball control and skill to hold the ball when needed or make the telling pass when needed.

Sadly, to date, Kalvin has learned the basics:

1) Don’t lose the ball, then
2) Pass the ball.
3) Make yourself open for a pass.
3) See Rule 1.

But has not yet mastered (1) or (2) sufficiently well enough to not create problems at the back when we are committing forward, and (3) is simply not a strong enough part of his game.

I would hope he is literally sitting down and studying how Rodri moves around the field, because Kalvin is not a bad player, he just looks out of place in a team of world class players, especially trying yo emulate the performances of the best player in the world in his position!

I wouldn’t be surprised if a serious bid, and an almost guaranteed opportunity to play every week, didn't pry him away this summer. It’d leave us short in midfield, but with the money we’d get, we have to have identified 3 of 4 potential Rodri back-ups around the world that we could replace him with and save money.

It’s gotta be difficult to make an impact when you’re coming on with the game done and the team in rest mode. The issue is that he’s obviously levels below Rodri.

Put him next to him and I think he’d be brilliant but we don’t play with two 6s so won’t see it anytime soon.
Agreed. Am assuming pep didn’t make those subs to see how Phillips and the rest performed, it was about saving the players they replaced.

I don’t think we should judge them on that 25 minutes - having said that Palmer is a head scratcher for me - looks lost in the middle, much better on the flank.

I remember the stick Ake and Rodri used to get on here and by some well respected posters. It takes time to learn the Pep way and we need to stick by Phillips. A straight swap with Rodders in his first season is going to be challenging when he’s always been used to playing a double pivot for Leeds and England.

But he keeps putting poor performances in . I’ve been his biggest advocate but Ieven I’ve realised that he is never going to be good enough for us even if he stays another year .

As I say, it was regularly said about Nathan in his first year with us, on this very forum. He's our defender of the season.
Ask yourself this: when did you last see him play a 90-minute game? When have you ever seen him play two successive 90-minute games, I'm not saying he's good enough, I'm not saying he's bad enough. I'm just reserving judgement. Pep took a long, hard look at him. He can make mistakes like anyone else, of course. But he must have been seeing something.

Needs to gain a greater understanding and grasp of where the space is to receive the ball, both from the defenders (who are looking for the triangle) and the attackers (who are looking for the relief pass to maintain possession).

He is very languid, and jogs around ALOT! He needs to realize that once you understand the space, you CAN float in and out of it, like Rodri (and now Stones) are doing. However, it’s not a natural picture (in his own mind) where he should be now AND after the next pass has been made. That is putting him behind the flow of the game and the player on the ball is looking for him in space he isn’t occupying…yet! And, to get there needs a sprint, not a jog!

It’s really as simple as saying to yourself, “A has the ball, where am I in his triangle?” and “When A gives it to B, where to I need to shuttle to in order to be available in B’s triangle?” It is a CONSTANT 5-10 yard shuttle movement, and there’s a reason that, when Pep sees its breaking down a bit, he puts Bernardo into the second midfielder role!

Pep has said repeatedly that Bernardo not only has the Magic Eye, but the skill and technique to play EVERYWHERE! He understands SPACE and how to both occupy it and create it for others. He has the ball control and skill to hold the ball when needed or make the telling pass when needed.

Sadly, to date, Kalvin has learned the basics:

1) Don’t lose the ball, then
2) Pass the ball.
3) Make yourself open for a pass.
3) See Rule 1.

But has not yet mastered (1) or (2) sufficiently well enough to not create problems at the back when we are committing forward, and (3) is simply not a strong enough part of his game.

I would hope he is literally sitting down and studying how Rodri moves around the field, because Kalvin is not a bad player, he just looks out of place in a team of world class players, especially trying yo emulate the performances of the best player in the world in his position!

I wouldn’t be surprised if a serious bid, and an almost guaranteed opportunity to play every week, didn't pry him away this summer. It’d leave us short in midfield, but with the money we’d get, we have to have identified 3 of 4 potential Rodri back-ups around the world that we could replace him with and save money.
Good points, agree, though he was on a hiding to nothing today - so many changes. And therefore hope your last para doesn’t happen - think he needs another season before that kind of judgement.

Good points, agree, though he was on a hiding to nothing today - so many changes. And therefore hope your last para doesn’t happen - think he needs another season before that kind of judgement.
Yorkshire Pilo more like Yorkshire Jamie Pollock. Getting in the way of Ederson at the corner to concede is embarrassing . Misplaced passes again today too. Maybe Chelsea and Boehly will buy him for £44M in the summer.

I never wanted him here, but oddly found myself defending him after other games due to his lack of game time/fitness. I know the “it takes a year to get used to Pep” has proven to be a fair argument, but the problem with Philips is after almost a year he looks as lost as he did at the beginning. Where is the improvement? Never mind that…where is the pride? He looks like a guy that has won the lottery and is shell-shocked.

He looks completely out of his depth and it’s extremely worrying. Part of me thinks that playing CDM for City might be one of the hardest roles in world football. On the other hand, part of me thinks coming on at 3-0 for the 2nd half against absolute dross, is as easy as it gets and he still looked turd.

Problem.

Yorkshire Pilo more like Yorkshire Jamie Pollock. Getting in the way of Ederson at the corner to concede is embarrassing . Misplaced passes again today too. Maybe Chelsea and Boehly will buy him for £44M in the summer.
200w.gif

There was a point early on when he went to take a FK and looked completely laboured.

I always say give a player 2 seasons before judging, but this one if someone was to want to buy. I wouldn’t be unhappy with us trying again with someone better suited.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.