4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not trying to defend him as I don’t think he is good enough for us but it can’t be easy when 4-5 of our better players have been subbed off and the quality is not as good.Alvarez only looks have the player he is when he plays with what can be called our b team
By the time we have five changes, there are always square pegs in round holes, and the players coming on will always have an element of trying to impress.

Yesterday, after the goal and a couple of other chances, Mahrez in particular tried to really slow the game down, and City had a few minutes of total possession. Yet you had Walker constantly trying to run into space and screaming for passes, and the crowd around me were shouting for the same. In the end I think it was Phillips (might not have been, but it's a general point about trying to impress) who made a great pass over the top, which Walker nearly brought down in the box, and the crowd gave a big cheer.

That was exactly the wrong thing to do, as trying high risk balls, in an attempt to force a fourth goal is MUCH more difficult than closing down the match and stopping them scoring another couple of goals - but when you have the crowd and other players screaming at you, then it makes decisions trickier.

The sample size for Phillips has been very small and the games he has played have not been in easy situations. Southanpton everyone was poor and many played out of position. Today was CL recovery with a lot of substitutions.He must have quite a degree of ability, our scouting team although they may make occasional mistakes are certainly able to judge ability.
It is I think to early to write him off. Unfortunately he has not yet demonstrated anything that enables you to write him on yet either.

This guy reminds me a bit of akes first season. Riddled with injuries and issues that he can't really be judged. Seen Leeds fans say he needs a couple games to get up to speed.

I wouldnt rule him out personally. I think a full preseason after a full summers rest and go next year he'll be great for us. I think his issues with injuries and such has put him in the situation where because of the time of the season we can't take risks.....

I would like to judge him off a game where it's our best 11 around him not like the Southampton game or the game yesterday..... It wouldn't shock me if he ends up playing the stones role rather than the rodri one... Because that's what pep was trying out in preseason last year with him

Its fucking hilarious how people try and gaslight you about Phillips with the 'Rodri was bad his first season aswell' compared to his second season maybe yeah, conpared to Kalvin he looked like Ruud Gullitt.

FWIW both Tommy Doyle and Lavia are fucking miles better than him aswell.

Anyone saying give him more time knows fucking nowt about football. Hes shit.

Its fucking hilarious how people try and gaslight you about Phillips with the 'Rodri was bad his first season aswell' compared to his second season maybe yeah, conpared to Kalvin he looked like Ruud Gullitt.

Well I expect Pep might well be one of your know nowts, because I don’t think he will go anywhere this summer. So lets see shall we.

Some harsh stuff on here when the lad hasnt played as part of our strongest team and he gets 10-15 minutes when the game is won with obvious intstructions to keep possession and see the game out , which he does , nothing clever just rotates the ball and i am sure he is playing to Pep's instructions

Had the pleasure of watching Tommy Doyle yesterday and he has improved by playing regular football , he was the best player on the park but you have take into account the opposition a relegation threatened Cardiff.
Would be interesting to Doyle and McAtee back with us next season , and how they progress , in hindsight maybe Phillips shouldnt have been signed and Doyle given some minutes , but who could have predicted Phillips being injured for months on end.

Well I expect Pep might well be one of your know nowts, because I don’t think he will go anywhere this summer. So lets see shall we.

What Pep sees and it's a lot more in every sense than anyone calling people know nowts is what counts now.

Kalvin himself said yesterday that he is still learning how to play in this team and he has had very little time where all the players around him are our first choices; those minutes, are exactly the best for him to improve in so we have to some degree a chicken and egg situation.

He can pass but he has had no chance to get his rhythm going.

I don't know if things will change but he is clearly a good guy and he plays for City. I think he cares and comments to the contrary are wide of the mark. So for as long as he is here, I will hope he can find his best form and make a contribution: if he can't, we could be stuck with a player because no one suitable will give him the wages he is getting or the transfer fee to help cut our losses. We need his form to improve or make a quick sale in the summer.

Where to begin.

Some harsh stuff on here when the lad hasnt played as part of our strongest team and he gets 10-15 minutes when the game is won with obvious intstructions to keep possession and see the game out , which he does , nothing clever just rotates the ball and i am sure he is playing to Pep's instructions

Had the pleasure of watching Tommy Doyle yesterday and he has improved by playing regular football , he was the best player on the park but you have take into account the opposition a relegation threatened Cardiff.
Would be interesting to Doyle and McAtee back with us next season , and how they progress , in hindsight maybe Phillips shouldnt have been signed and Doyle given some minutes , but who could have predicted Phillips being injured for months on end.

And maybe Lavia should have been retained but hindshight is a lovely thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.