4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not showing he is capable at the moment but more than any other position in our team, he needs to get into the rhythm of things and playing little bits here and there isnt going to help that at all. He is a yd off the pace in terms of making the pass (especially forwards) and seems to be also slow in reading the danger.....

He may however get this with time, a full pre season with Pep and regualr game time.

I cannot see the club letting him go so soon as they will want to give him time....whether he makes it or not is a comlpete unknown

The real danger is that we run Rodri into the ground as a result of this. We/Phillips have been unlucky as that at the time when you would want to give the player time/chance to bed in he was injured and now is not the time to do that.

Pre season and start of next season will be the time he needs to show what he is capable of

Bielsa saw something in him to the point that pep decided to bring him to city so he must have also seen that phillips has something about him. I think he's a bit unlucky with injury/fitness issues. But also I think he's started to realise how much commitment you have to put in to become a top player in this city squad.

Let this season be a write-off, he gets a full preseason and starts fresh, fitter and anew with the squad next season

So do you think he can’t do basic stuff and when he played at Leeds he couldn’t do it but Pep couldn’t see that he couldn’t even do the basics ? The man who knows more about midfield and midfielders than just about anybody in football.
He isnt doing it for us though.
I actually quite liked him as a player but he isnt doing even the basics for us, maybe its a confidence issue but no way in hell is he playing to Peps advice, Pep would never tell anyone not to move once a pass is made

Yes and you’re correct as well , that was an absolute shambles of a performance ,cant lay the blame on Phillips for that one , every single player was garbage on the night.
There is an enormous drop off from the first-team 16 and the rest, and currently Phillips falls in with the rest, so whenever there is a clutch of them on the pitch, we’re automatically below par and they look like bit parts in the machine.

Things haven’t worked out for him yet, but we desperately need a player that we can rely on to come in and close games out in midfield and not just to serve as a direct replacement for Rodri. The late collapse against Real Madrid last season exposed our energy deficiencies in the the centre of the park, which was presumably one reason we went for him, so if we can get by Bayern Munich this week, he might well feature more in the coming weeks. Similarly, if we can get games won inside 25 minutes, as we did yesterday, we can get him off the bench earlier and get more minutes into his legs.

He isnt doing it for us though.
I actually quite liked him as a player but he isnt doing even the basics for us, maybe its a confidence issue but no way in hell is he playing to Peps advice, Pep would never tell anyone not to move once a pass is made
So that’s form and confidence, I reckon Pep will back himself to fix either of those issues over the summer. Might be wrong but I think it’s quite likely we see him with us next year and see a different player, again.

He’s absolutely diabolical, been abject every time he’s been on the pitch.

He might play himself into some sort of competance/form with an extended run but he’ll never get that here. His job is to drop in and out for Rodri and he’s failing on every level of that and we’re in danger of running Rodri into the ground.

Best for everyone if we take a hit on fee and shift him this summer, we get someone who can fill the role and he gets his career back on track and we dont burn rodri out

There is an enormous drop off from the first-team 16 and the rest, and currently Phillips falls in with the rest, so whenever there is a clutch of them on the pitch, we’re automatically below par and they look like bit parts in the machine.

Things haven’t worked out for him yet, but we desperately need a player that we can rely on to come in and close games out in midfield and not just to serve as a direct replacement for Rodri. The late collapse against Real Madrid last season exposed our energy deficiencies in the the centre of the park, which was presumably one reason we went for him, so if we can get by Bayern Munich this week, he might well feature more in the coming weeks. Similarly, if we can get games won inside 25 minutes, as we did yesterday, we can get him off the bench earlier and get more minutes into his legs.
When you say the rest it’s 3 players, Palmer, Gomez and Phillips, of those 3 though Phillips has played at a much higher level and been seen playing at a better level, so we know he has ability we haven’t seen for us. The other two have never proven that, they may in the future. That’s why I expect Palmer and Gomez not to be with the squad next year but think Phillips will be.

Reactions: OB1
When you say the rest it’s 3 players, Palmer, Gomez and Phillips, of those 3 though Phillips has played at a much higher level and been seen playing at a better level, so we know he has ability we haven’t seen for us. The other two have never proven that, they may in the future. That’s why I expect Palmer and Gomez not to be with the squad next year but think Phillips will be.
That’s the rest yesterday but I’ll add Lewis, Ortega, and Perrone to the mix. I’m not criticising them as individuals, just recognising that this year we are operating with a really tight nucleus of players in whom Guardiola has complete trust and arguably two fewer players than we were operating with at the same stage last season. I agree that Phillips will likely still be with us next season.

Not showing he is capable at the moment but more than any other position in our team, he needs to get into the rhythm of things and playing little bits here and there isnt going to help that at all. He is a yd off the pace in terms of making the pass (especially forwards) and seems to be also slow in reading the danger.....

He may however get this with time, a full pre season with Pep and regualr game time.

I cannot see the club letting him go so soon as they will want to give him time....whether he makes it or not is a comlpete unknown

The real danger is that we run Rodri into the ground as a result of this. We/Phillips have been unlucky as that at the time when you would want to give the player time/chance to bed in he was injured and now is not the time to do that.

Pre season and start of next season will be the time he needs to show what he is capable of
It's a big risk, he has a very poor injury record and again with the late finish of this season, pre season I would imagine will be very short, so I am not sure he can improve his fitness much in that period.

I personally think he will be moved on and he will have plenty of clubs after him.

Not sure, but have we lost a game that he has appeared as a substitute ? Can't think of one , but happy to be proved wrong.
He's not played much only seems to come on when we have, what Pep thinks is 'an unassailable lead', although it nearly wasn't yesterday! Off the top of my head, we were winning 4-0 when he came on it was 4-1, we were winning 3-0 yesterday, when he came on, I said to my son, put a bet on Leicester scoring next! Sure enough 3-1. He seems a good lad, low on confidence, popular with his team mates but I worry whenever he comes on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.