4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The other thing s about that its also the team he starts with.....if he starts along with the likes of KDB, Haaland, Foden, Bernardo, Grealish Ake etc etc then ok - you can start to make a judgement....but if he starts in a team that contains other players who dont have the rhythm like Gomez, Palmer etc then its again hardly a fair test of whether he can play or not for us.....

It would be interesting (but not right now) to see him in a full strength city side where he is the only change (with rodri dropping out of course) - this would be a better/fairer test of his capability.

Dias started to make mistakes yesterday when all the changes happened so that drop off in performance yesterday wasnt down to one player - it was down to a disjointed team
Pep likes to overload, particularly with players in the midfield, but he's walking and not getting in space, his passes unless they are very short, frequently seem to give the ball away, other better players seem reluctant to pass to him and he really doesn't look like he believes in himself.
It's like we lose a player, when he's on. Personally I wouldn't look forward to him playing in the semi. We are capable of winning the treble, with a bit of luck. We nearly dropped points against Leicester making changes too early. It was more damaging to our momentum playing the fringe players. We underestimated Southampton in the league cup let's not do that with Sheffield.

When you say the rest it’s 3 players, Palmer, Gomez and Phillips, of those 3 though Phillips has played at a much higher level and been seen playing at a better level, so we know he has ability we haven’t seen for us. The other two have never proven that, they may in the future. That’s why I expect Palmer and Gomez not to be with the squad next year but think Phillips will be.

I've seen Phillips play well on the international stage. There's more there than we have seen so far.

Pep likes to overload, particularly with players in the midfield, but he's walking and not getting in space, his passes unless they are very short, frequently seem to give the ball away, other better players seem reluctant to pass to him and he really doesn't look like he believes in himself.
It's like we lose a player, when he's on. Personally I wouldn't look forward to him playing in the semi. We are capable of winning the treble, with a bit of luck. We nearly dropped points against Leicester making changes too early. It was more damaging to our momentum playing the fringe players. We underestimated Southampton in the league cup let's not do that with Sheffield.
Unless Bayern take the tie to extra time, I reckon we’ll field a strong side against Sheffield United and go off to the sound of the trumpets again. Should we get ourselves in a similar winning position next weekend, we’ll rotate again ahead of Arsenal.

Bielsa saw something in him to the point that pep decided to bring him to city so he must have also seen that phillips has something about him. I think he's a bit unlucky with injury/fitness issues. But also I think he's started to realise how much commitment you have to put in to become a top player in this city squad.

Let this season be a write-off, he gets a full preseason and starts fresh, fitter and anew with the squad next season
I agree with that and with his injuries we can't judge him in on this season.

He needs to start in the semi next week imo.

Personally I think Ortega has been outstanding in several games for us, he's made one mistake where he was caught out by a long shot, but he's had a couple of man of the match performances where his shot stopping has kept us in a game. I can't remember Ederson ever getting a man of the match performance? Unlike Philips, I don't get concerned when Ortega is played. I would be sad to lose Ortega.
I guess it's off topic but the only way I see Ortega going is if he demands a move. He has been the best back up 'keeper we have had by a distance.

Its fucking hilarious how people try and gaslight you about Phillips with the 'Rodri was bad his first season aswell' compared to his second season maybe yeah, conpared to Kalvin he looked like Ruud Gullitt.

FWIW both Tommy Doyle and Lavia are fucking miles better than him aswell.

Anyone saying give him more time knows fucking nowt about football. Hes shit.
A lot of people on here seem to think that the team is picked out of a hat every week, that Phillips has just been unlucky and he’ll be fine once he’s being picked more often.

He’s not been playing because he’s not shown anything to make a case for his inclusion, and Guardiola only appears willing to risk giving him 20 or 30 minutes when we’re 3 or 4 up. He was shocking yesterday against a piss poor Leicester team and if Guardiola rated him, he would have started, so that Rodri could have had a proper rest.

I can understand that Phillips could struggle to get the rhythm of the team, but it’s his lack of effort and slow, plodding around that I find most perplexing.

That’s the one vote for him to start then?
He needs to play more football and he's used to playing at Wembley and it's against an under-strength Sheff U team.
So for me he has to start in that, our else what was the point of buying him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.