4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He’s absolutely diabolical, been abject every time he’s been on the pitch.

He might play himself into some sort of competance/form with an extended run but he’ll never get that here. His job is to drop in and out for Rodri and he’s failing on every level of that and we’re in danger of running Rodri into the ground.

Best for everyone if we take a hit on fee and shift him this summer, we get someone who can fill the role and he gets his career back on track and we dont burn rodri out
I agree with this. Phillips comes across as a decent bloke in his interviews, even describing his own performance yesterday as terrible. I thought he was solid at Leeds and for England. But he has been shockingly bad when he has played for us. Yesterday the midfield collapsed and he looked like a non-league player after he came on. No idea where to run on the pitch, misplacing passes, totally passive. Lots of players need settling in periods but he has been off-the-scale bad. We haven't had many total disasters in the transfer market (Mangala looked better than Phillips!) We haven't got time for sentiment. Pep has already moved on much better players.

I backed him and still do, he needs a run of games which unfortunately he is unlikely to get here. I personally think him and gomez will move on next season and we will probably make a profit on both. I would prefer him to stay another season or two and then use the buy back on lavia but I'm sure he wants to be playing regularly again ASAP.

Catch 22 situation I guess. Lack of games can't be doing him any favours but then it's evident why he can only really get on the pitch at certain times.

I'll say it again, I've yet to see him play and after a game think I want to see him play more. That's not good, you want your subs to really try and stake a claim for a place.

I'll always back our players and will do with him. I just felt before he signed that I've never seen anything in him to suggest he's the calibre of player to make a splash here

The weird thing with Phillips is that for Leeds and England, he's always looked a pretty good player at Premier League level.

Not exceptional, not even great, but more than good enough to justify a £40m purchase to rotate with Rodri in the 'easier' games.

Yet with us, he's been absolutely abysmal, a total waste of a shirt.

It's bizarre, but it gives me hope that he might become a good squad member next year. Equally, if we bin him off, I think everyone would understand.

I really wanted him and thought he had an ‘edge’ which would be useful to us. Unfortunately, he has so far proven me wrong.

So, every player gets a season in my book, plus the start of the next to find form. Furthermore, the club are NOT going to throw out a £45m player after a season, they're just not. It's not happening. So he's here next season.

He has struggled, I'll agree, and yesterday showed again he seems to be playing at a languid pace that I think he doesn't understand. He is constantly caught in possession. What confuses me is that he was consistently far better than this for Leeds, so there's something in him. It just remains to be seen whether Pep and co can get it out of him and if he can reproduce it in a City system. Tough times for the lad.

He's not played much only seems to come on when we have, what Pep thinks is 'an unassailable lead', although it nearly wasn't yesterday! Off the top of my head, we were winning 4-0 when he came on it was 4-1, we were winning 3-0 yesterday, when he came on, I said to my son, put a bet on Leicester scoring next! Sure enough 3-1. He seems a good lad, low on confidence, popular with his team mates but I worry whenever he comes on!
if we are beating Bayern 3-0 and he comes on i will take 3-1 :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.