4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's so hard to give him the minutes he needs to learn his role and build his confidence without risking serious detriment to the team (which would kill his confidence more). Not sure what the answer is right now but hopefully he can stay fit and train well and then next pre-season will be key.

Worth bearing in mind we're playing completely different tactically to when he even joined so he's spent half a season struggling to learn the wrong system.

Don't think he's looked very good so far, but strongly doubt that means he will never do. Think he might do better in a more box to box role than as a 2nd Rodri

Catch 22 situation I guess. Lack of games can't be doing him any favours but then it's evident why he can only really get on the pitch at certain times.

I'll say it again, I've yet to see him play and after a game think I want to see him play more. That's not good, you want your subs to really try and stake a claim for a place.

I'll always back our players and will do with him. I just felt before he signed that I've never seen anything in him to suggest he's the calibre of player to make a splash here

Some players aren't talented enough to plqy for us now. But worryingly with Kalvin he just doesn't work hard enough either. He should be coming on and sprinting round the pitch trying to get the ball as much as possible and show Pep he can start games. Instead he trots about and does fuck all.

Some players aren't talented enough to plqy for us now. But worryingly with Kalvin he just doesn't work hard enough either. He should be coming on and sprinting round the pitch trying to get the ball as much as possible and show Pep he can start games. Instead he trots about and does fuck all.
Stones is currently a better pivot than Phillips.

This season is probably over for him but you never know he could still play a role in helping us succeed. I was saying to another poster that Phillips should be playing with Rodri in this system and the fact he can’t get in the team is a damning assessment so far. He could surprise us all next season and kick on but he needs to do much better than against Leicester.

Been saying the same myself,his approach to opportunity is fucking bizarre.

Many were giving (foolishly) Grealish a hard time,but it was never through lack of effort,in part it was the opposite.....and that is where there is a huge differential when it comes to any comparison and future at the club.

Stones is currently a better pivot than Phillips.

This season is probably over for him but you never know he could still play a role in helping us succeed. I was saying to another poster that Phillips should be playing with Rodri in this system and the fact he can’t get in the team is a damning assessment so far. He could surprise us all next season and kick on but he needs to do much better than against Leicester.

It's one thing not quite understanding the role. I've seen him play brilliantly for Leeds and England, but it's never in the way Rodri plays. As you say, he'd be better alongside him being more on the front foot, and he does have excellent vision and a long pass. But I can forgive him not being as good as Rodri, because who is?! What I can't forgive is the lack of effort. That's a minimum requirement. You can't come on and trot about. What's he saving energy for?! If he wasn't showing for the ball through nervousness or a lack of confidence then again, that's something that will improve in time. But not running hard is unacceptable. It was the Madison shot that Ederson saved at the near post that really pissed me off. His defender is telling him to mark Madison as he's on the runner, but he's just trotting back.

Alvarez has the world's best striker ahead of him. What does he do when he comes on? He works his fucking arse off! As a result we don't care if he doesn't score or assist every game because he is such a nuisance he makes a difference. And because of that mentality he does get goals.

If Kalvin's starting point was "I'm going to run full pelt and chase everything" he'd soon be looking much better. He'd be blocking shots, intercepting and then getting on the ball too. But he may as well have not been there. Perrone in the short period he's played, looks miles better in the middle.

mmm Rodri covers a hell of a lot of ground but he rarely does it at high speed . I'm not sure that I want my holding midfielder charging around at high pace other than when getting back when turned.I want intelligent anticipation of where cover is needed and where to receive the ball.

Last edited:
He is in the same position where Gundo, Stones (a couple of times) Zinchenko, Rodri, Cancelo, Jack were when they started. Three above average appearances in a row and praise will flow all over this board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.