4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
whenever i watch the guy he never really seems arsed. Just sort of saunters about. Was he like that at leeds too?

I know a few Leeds fans and they weren't particularly too gutted when they sold him at the point they did, not as much as some might assume because he was one of their bigger names and an England International.

A mate of mine from Leeds said to me "his performances massively dropped off in the few games last season but obviously city didn't notice and we scammed you for £50m"

Make of that what you will. Obviously that's just one opinion, many Leeds fans may disagree.

Shame that we signed him to come in and compete with Rodri, and 3/4 through the season he’s not even capable of giving the lad a rest against the likes of Sheffield. The one thing I will say is that it’s hard to judge his overall abilities when the confidence level is at 0. It’s been a weird season with injuries/WC. So when he’s finally becoming healthy he’s being inserted into a team that has very little room for error or mistakes.

I know there’s only one Johnny Boulder, but does Phillips have the ability to play Stones’ current role? Appears City isn’t actively shopping in the market for a LB/RB outside of Gvardiol (more of an Ake role), so I can only guess this system will be carried over in some capacity next season.

Really I’m just thinking of any way this guy can get on the field next season. Even if it’s not directly filling in for Rodri.

I'm trying not to be harsh on him but he genuinely looks so out of place on the pitch, it's like plucking a fat 50 year old from the south stand and putting him on the pitch. Just clueless with no idea what to do, but happy to be there

I'm a happy clapper. Been saying wait until next season constantly when it comes to him.

But that was pretty damning. Bernardo was in a deep position alongside him buzzing about showing for passes to create triangles and link play. Phillips just sauntered in roughly the same place looking lost. But he didn't even look interested in recieving the ball.

Sell him and go and get ward-prowse when Southampton go down.

We may as well just bring Tommy Doyle back into the fold.

If we want any Saints midfielder,its our other academy product.

The reality is.....i don't believe either will play for us again.

I'm a happy clapper. Been saying wait until next season constantly when it comes to him.

But that was pretty damning. Bernardo was in a deep position alongside him buzzing about showing for passes to create triangles and link play. Phillips just sauntered in roughly the same place looking lost. But he didn't even look interested in recieving the ball.

I'm of the same opinion. That being said, he's been underwhelming so far (whether that's down to the injuries he's had or not). Remember Grealish last season. He didn't pull up too many trees, and quite a few on here wanted to get rid of him. Look at him now. Rodri was another with a so-so first season for us, IIRC. Getting used to playing in a Pep team can't be easy.

I'm of the same opinion. That being said, he's been underwhelming so far (whether that's down to the injuries he's had or not). Remember Grealish last season. He didn't pull up too many trees, and quite a few on here wanted to get rid of him. Look at him now. Rodri was another with a so-so first season for us, IIRC. Getting used to playing in a Pep team can't be easy.

I think he might fancy a move with Euro 2024 on the horizon.

Even if he has a good second season here he's likely to drop out of the England plans, whereas if he finds a club to buy him and start him every week he'll be in there no trouble.

I think he might fancy a move with Euro 2024 on the horizon.

Even if he has a good second season here he's likely to drop out of the England plans, whereas if he finds a club to buy him and start him every week he'll be in there no trouble.
Southgate does seem to rate him, mind. As you said, though, not playing regular first team football will do him no favours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.