4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Played at his level today. Sheffield United yo-yo Championship club. Decent in the Championship, not good enough for PL.

Pep coming out publicly about his not reaching expected standard was as good as waving him off.
Give it a rest ffs.

Pep says a lot of things publicly

I think part of the problem is that everyone expects him to come on and be an immediate and direct replacement for Rodri. We saw today, however, that he looks far more comfortable playing in a midfield two with someone like Gomez. Maybe we need to give him more such games and then see if he can develop sufficiently to play the other role.
I don't mate, I expect him to play with his head up, to be making angles to give his teammates a passing option and be comfortable and confident receiving the ball. Didn't see even a glimmer of that before today.

I don't mate, I expect him to play with his head up, to be making angles to give his teammates a passing option and be comfortable and confident receiving the ball. Didn't see even a glimmer of that before today.
I know what you mean, when he’s come in and been asked to play the Rodri role he’s been underwhelming, moving at a snail’s pace and looking as if he’s forgotten his geometry set. Guardiola likes to develop, though, and it may be that Phillips will shine more in an adjusted system. Should be interest to see.

I would swear some of you have never seen us play were it not for the fact most of you were saying the same kind of things about Ake last season and many more before him.

If a new signing is getting games and isn't doing it yet, they're fair game for criticism in my eyes, we can accept the improvement is likely to come in time but they still need to be of a certain standard if they're regularly starting games even in their first season.

I don't however see how you can criticise a player that basically spent 12 months injured which overlapped with his first 6 months here and then found himself in a situation where the games are too important too allow him an opportunity to adjust and so he's going to have to write off the first year and start again in the summer.

It's almost a carbon copy of Ake. The exact same thing happened with him with his injury early into his first season which kept him out for probably more than half a season then pep couldn't throw him in unprepared into important games in the back end of the season once he was fit and the few times he did, he didn't look upto it so it's a write off and he goes again next summer. Fast forward to now and we are now flapping because he's picked up a knock.

Give the lad a fucking opportunity to fail before declaring him a failure ffs.

I would swear some of you have never seen us play were it not for the fact most of you were saying the same kind of things about Ake last season and many more before him.

If a new signing is getting games and isn't doing it yet, they're fair game for criticism in my eyes, we can accept the improvement is likely to come in time but they still need to be of a certain standard if they're regularly starting games even in their first season.

I don't however see how you can criticise a player that basically spent 12 months injured which overlapped with his first 6 months here and then found himself in a situation where the games are too important too allow him an opportunity to adjust and so he's going to have to write off the first year and start again in the summer.

It's almost a carbon copy of Ake. The exact same thing happened with him with his injury early into his first season which kept him out for probably more than half a season then pep couldn't throw him in unprepared into important games in the back end of the season once he was fit and the few times he did, he didn't look upto it so it's a write off and he goes again next summer. Fast forward to now and we are now flapping because he's picked up a knock.

You're being kind to him, which is nice - and I hope you're right.

However, for me, he's missed too many matches when fit and available to suggest that Pep rates or trusts him. Not starting today.... wow... with the fixtures we've got coming up, well, it just suggests that he isn't of the required standard.

Maybe that isn't his fault and he still warrants support. If he's picked before the end of the season I'll be hoping for the best, but unfortunately it would probably also mean that Rodri, Gundo, Bernardo, Stones and Lewis were all out injured, which would be a scary scenario.

Whether it's worth cutting out losses in the summer, I dont know. There is a chance he is better in his 2nd season, but whether that's to a standard we require is still doubtful. I'm sure we'll be busy signing players, so I'd certainly understand if he left.

Said similar in the pre-match thread but you put it better than me. Particularly the bit in bold.

You're being kind to him, which is nice - and I hope you're right.

However, for me, he's missed too many matches when fit and available to suggest that Pep rates or trusts him. Not starting today.... wow... with the fixtures we've got coming up, well, it just suggests that he isn't of the required standard.

Maybe that isn't his fault and he still warrants support. If he's picked before the end of the season I'll be hoping for the best, but unfortunately it would probably also mean that Rodri, Gundo, Bernardo, Stones and Lewis were all out injured, which would be a scary scenario.

Whether it's worth cutting out losses in the summer, I dont know. There is a chance he is better in his 2nd season, but whether that's to a standard we require is still doubtful. I'm sure we'll be busy signing players, so I'd certainly understand if he left.
I'm not being kind to him though, he's not getting picked in knock out games because he hasn't had the time on the pitch, be that games or training to fully figure out his role yet. Peps making that clear in his comments.

It's not a case of "it's only sheffield united, he should be good enough for them" it's Phillips not having had the time to know the role regardless of who it is against and so Pep wont put somebody in who doesnt understand whats asked of him, especially in the midfield where its vital he gets it. Perrone who we bought in jan isn't getting on the pitch yet because he has to learn in training what's required, thats entirely reasonable, considering the injuries hes had, we should treat phillips as a january signing too, and one coming back from a lengthy lay off at that.

We won't see him for anything but seeing games out and resting others for the rest of the season now and then he gets the summer and pre season to learn and then we see what he's capable of.

I don't believe for a single second Pep will be deeming him not good enough and want a replacement after a season injured, the only reason he leaves is if he himself doesn't fancy it and I don't see him as that kind of person.

Give it a rest ffs.

Pep says a lot of things publicly

Rarely negative though...

He also expressed his disappointment when KP came back from the World Cup overweight, and look what's happened since then.

In my opinion, the lad's on borrowed time at City.

Just because you don't agree with you doesn't mean that I need to "give it a rest".

Rarely negative though...

He also expressed his disappointment when KP came back from the World Cup overweight, and look what's happened since then.

In my opinion, the lad's on borrowed time at City.

Just because you don't agree with you doesn't mean that I need to "give it a rest".
Kalvin got himself fit and has been available for selection. That's what he's done.

Coming out with nonsense that he is a championship player deserved that comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.