4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kalvin got himself fit and has been available for selection. That's what he's done.

Coming out with nonsense that he is a championship player deserved that comment.

Why is it nonsense?

He was the best player in a team that has been hanging around the relegation zone since they got promoted. He's not shown anything at Leeds, City, or England to suggest that he's capable of stepping up to top level. In fact, every time he's played for City, it's looked to me that the game just goes on around him - he doesn't influence things.

I think he'd struggle at any top 6 club. Just my opinion.

Realistically that was Phillips’s last big opportunity this season, barring catastrophic injuries, to show that he’s got anything to offer this team going forward.
In a match against lower league opponents, where we need to rest as many important players as possible, Pep would rather risk it and play two big game starters in the centre instead of Phillips. The guy is supposed to be all-action, great passer and a run-through-brick-walls type. He should be ideal in a 4 man midfield. Yet, he was the last one on the pitch out of Gomez, Palmer and himself.
I think he’s toast.

Why is it nonsense?

He was the best player in a team that has been hanging around the relegation zone since they got promoted. He's not shown anything at Leeds, City, or England to suggest that he's capable of stepping up to top level. In fact, every time he's played for City, it's looked to me that the game just goes on around him - he doesn't influence things.

I think he'd struggle at any top 6 club. Just my opinion.
He clearly must have shown something because Pep signed off on 40m for the lad. Then he packed his bags with a glowing review from Bielsa and joined City.

What top 6 are we talking about here because he walks into the rags and spuds midfield.

I would swear some of you have never seen us play were it not for the fact most of you were saying the same kind of things about Ake last season and many more before him.

If a new signing is getting games and isn't doing it yet, they're fair game for criticism in my eyes, we can accept the improvement is likely to come in time but they still need to be of a certain standard if they're regularly starting games even in their first season.

I don't however see how you can criticise a player that basically spent 12 months injured which overlapped with his first 6 months here and then found himself in a situation where the games are too important too allow him an opportunity to adjust and so he's going to have to write off the first year and start again in the summer.

It's almost a carbon copy of Ake. The exact same thing happened with him with his injury early into his first season which kept him out for probably more than half a season then pep couldn't throw him in unprepared into important games in the back end of the season once he was fit and the few times he did, he didn't look upto it so it's a write off and he goes again next summer. Fast forward to now and we are now flapping because he's picked up a knock.

Give the lad a fucking opportunity to fail before declaring him a failure ffs.
That’s not true though. Opinion was split for Ake. He did a lot of good things in his first season, but clearly just took a while to adapt.
I don’t think anyone could genuinely look at any of Phillips’s performances this season and tell me that he’s played well. I really hope it works out for him as I really like him, he’s a great guy! It looks like pep doesn’t trust him though.

Oh, and 12 months injured? I blinked and missed that

I'm not being kind to him though, he's not getting picked in knock out games because he hasn't had the time on the pitch, be that games or training to fully figure out his role yet. Peps making that clear in his comments.

It's not a case of "it's only sheffield united, he should be good enough for them" it's Phillips not having had the time to know the role regardless of who it is against and so Pep wont put somebody in who doesnt understand whats asked of him, especially in the midfield where its vital he gets it. Perrone who we bought in jan isn't getting on the pitch yet because he has to learn in training what's required, thats entirely reasonable, considering the injuries hes had, we should treat phillips as a january signing too, and one coming back from a lengthy lay off at that.

We won't see him for anything but seeing games out and resting others for the rest of the season now and then he gets the summer and pre season to learn and then we see what he's capable of.

I don't believe for a single second Pep will be deeming him not good enough and want a replacement after a season injured, the only reason he leaves is if he himself doesn't fancy it and I don't see him as that kind of person.

Maybe I'm being harsh on him then - and I'd be very happy to be proven wrong - but I've just always doubted if he's good enough.

He played well enough for England back in the Euros, but that setup was so negative and with so many defensive minded players, it wasn't hard for him to be decent. He's also not exactly young and never played in Europe before this season.

I backed Grealish before we signed him, and last season, despite maybe being of a similar profile in terms of age and history. This was because he'd always shown comfort on the ball and a willingness to always demand the ball however things were going. Those are things I've not seen in Phillips. Maybe he can adapt to Pep's plans still. Maybe Pep's being super patient with him. I just wish he was someone we were willing to use for more than 15 minutes already, considering our squad will be hugely stretched over the next few weeks if we get an injury or two.

I would swear some of you have never seen us play were it not for the fact most of you were saying the same kind of things about Ake last season and many more before him.

If a new signing is getting games and isn't doing it yet, they're fair game for criticism in my eyes, we can accept the improvement is likely to come in time but they still need to be of a certain standard if they're regularly starting games even in their first season.

I don't however see how you can criticise a player that basically spent 12 months injured which overlapped with his first 6 months here and then found himself in a situation where the games are too important too allow him an opportunity to adjust and so he's going to have to write off the first year and start again in the summer.

It's almost a carbon copy of Ake. The exact same thing happened with him with his injury early into his first season which kept him out for probably more than half a season then pep couldn't throw him in unprepared into important games in the back end of the season once he was fit and the few times he did, he didn't look upto it so it's a write off and he goes again next summer. Fast forward to now and we are now flapping because he's picked up a knock.

Give the lad a fucking opportunity to fail before declaring him a failure ffs.
Save yourself the time defending him. Pep preferred to play a knackered Gundogan as cdm againts championship level opposition, that should tell you everything if you haven't already seen his dire performances. 25mins was all he was trusted with and your on here moaning 'give him an opportunity, he's a good lad'. Get a grip man! If he was from Bulgaria or Romania you wouldn't care less. Everytime I see that silly bob on the field im reminded we let go a future worldclass player in Lavia for journeyman.

Save yourself the time defending him. Pep preferred to play a knackered Gundogan as cdm againts championship level opposition, that should tell you everything if you haven't already seen his dire performances. 25mins was all he was trusted with and your on here moaning 'give him an opportunity, he's a good lad'. Get a grip man! If he was from Bulgaria or Romania you wouldn't care less. Everytime I see that silly bob on the field im reminded we let go a future worldclass player in Lavia for journeyman.
A knackered Gundogan, what is your proof of that because he looked fine. Hardly a huge shock that Pep plays the captain and one of his most trusted players in a semi final.

We didn't let Lavia go. He wanted to leave so we treated him the right way and got a very favorable transfer. If you think Pep would be playing a 19yr old Lavia today then you must live on a different planet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.