4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I’d like to see him make it but can’t see it if he can’t grab 15 minutes against relegation fodder, too slow and ponderous on the ball. Pretty sure Rodri in his first season had a lot more minutes.

That’s not true though. Opinion was split for Ake. He did a lot of good things in his first season, but clearly just took a while to adapt.
I don’t think anyone could genuinely look at any of Phillips’s performances this season and tell me that he’s played well. I really hope it works out for him as I really like him, he’s a great guy! It looks like pep doesn’t trust him though.

Oh, and 12 months injured? I blinked and missed that
You might be thinking of Ake's first two seasons combined - remember this is season three at City.

His first season, he played the first few games, including the ridiculous 5-2 defeat to Leicester, and was then mostly injured till the last couple of months of the season.

Last year he wasn't injured at all, but still only played a bit part, appearing every few games - and only twice against teams in the top 8, and of course nearly left in the Summer.

Still, in terms of PL minutes, Phillips is about a week into his career at City, so even less to go on!

A knackered Gundogan, what is your proof of that because he looked fine. Hardly a huge shock that Pep plays the captain and one of his most trusted players in a semi final.

We didn't let Lavia go. He wanted to leave so we treated him the right way and got a very favorable transfer. If you think Pep would be playing a 19yr old Lavia today then you must live on a different planet
Lavia was told he would be 3rd/4th choice in midfield partly because we were signing Phillips. Hes 19 and already better than most DMs in the Premier League. That Caicedo kid at Brighton is your typical 'Fabinho' type receive the ball, give it to a better passer 5 yards away Cdm whilst Lavia is your 'Fernandinho' type excellent tackler + expansive passing range. One of them will be sold this summer for 70+ million.

Pep will work his magic on him.
I’ll judge him at the end of next season after a summer break and a injury free pre season.

I honestly think & hope he will become an important squad member as have a lot of the players people have had initial doubts about.
This. The amount of players who have struggled under Pep their first season.

Ake, Mahrez, Grealish, Rodri the list goes on and on. It’s almost a given now that most players will struggle their first season.

I’ll judge him at the end of next season.

Lavia was told he would be 3rd/4th choice in midfield partly because we were signing Phillips. Hes 19 and already better than most DMs in the Premier League. That Caicedo kid at Brighton is your typical 'Fabinho' type receive the ball, give it to a better passer 5 yards away Cdm whilst Lavia is your 'Fernandinho' type excellent tackler + expansive passing range. One of them will be sold this summer for 70+ million.
There are reasons why he was told he would be that far down the pecking order. Lavia has had a good overall season but he is playing in a shite team for a team about to be relegated.

Caicedo will go for 70+ and Lavia wont, that you can be sure of.

Save yourself the time defending him. Pep preferred to play a knackered Gundogan as cdm againts championship level opposition, that should tell you everything if you haven't already seen his dire performances. 25mins was all he was trusted with and your on here moaning 'give him an opportunity, he's a good lad'. Get a grip man! If he was from Bulgaria or Romania you wouldn't care less. Everytime I see that silly bob on the field im reminded we let go a future worldclass player in Lavia for journeyman.
Woeful opinion. Firstly, I'm not really defending him, he hasn't had the opportunity yet to do anything here to even defend which is most of the point im making. what I'm doing more than anything is calling out those that again again are digging out a player that's barely featured for us. The only way it could be any closer to a carbon copy of Ake's first season here is if he got himself some dreadlocks. Its eerily similar and so are the comments from prople like yourself.

If you read my post properly and listen to peps comments the explanation for why he isn't trusted is there, it's not because pep thinks he's shit its because he hasn't had the time to learn yet.

That’s not true though. Opinion was split for Ake. He did a lot of good things in his first season, but clearly just took a while to adapt.
I don’t think anyone could genuinely look at any of Phillips’s performances this season and tell me that he’s played well. I really hope it works out for him as I really like him, he’s a great guy! It looks like pep doesn’t trust him though.

Oh, and 12 months injured? I blinked and missed that
In Ake's first season? Not last season. His first season he played 10 times, he was involved in the first 4 games which was mainly because that was the covid season and our squad got about a weeks rest from the previous year so as one of the few that got a bit of a rest before we bought him he had to be thrown in and very much looked like he was the new guy. Then got injured, returned featured a couple of times then got injured again basically until the last month of the season when we played him almkst exclusively in games that didn't matter because the league was won comfortably. He had no real chance for anybody to even form an opinion yet some did, labeled him a £40 million waste of money and wanted him gone 12 months after signing. Very very similar to what we are seeing here.

Phillips being out for that long was carried over from his leeds time, he also wasn't completely unavailable during that period but he was clearly injured and trying to get through it. It wasn't until he had his op with us that he was able to recover.

I thought he did fine in his cameo, don't think he misplaced any.

Ideally he gets to play more, but as mentioned ages back, next season ill judge him, just be fit now.

Realistically that was Phillips’s last big opportunity this season, barring catastrophic injuries, to show that he’s got anything to offer this team going forward.
In a match against lower league opponents, where we need to rest as many important players as possible, Pep would rather risk it and play two big game starters in the centre instead of Phillips. The guy is supposed to be all-action, great passer and a run-through-brick-walls type. He should be ideal in a 4 man midfield. Yet, he was the last one on the pitch out of Gomez, Palmer and himself.
I think he’s toast.
Sadly, I think you are correct. It says a lot when he is overlooked to start against a championship side, and is the last sub on.
Maybe Pep has a plan for him, but my spider senses are saying he's toast. Real shame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.