4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowhere near good enough for us. I watched him tonight and he just doesn’t want the ball like Rodri does and when he does get it he has nowhere near the skill, technical ability or intelligence to actually affect the game.He is a “Leeds” quality player.

He obviously needs more time but fucking hell I thought he was appalling. In such an important position he never showed for the ball. His passing was backwards and he bottled every 50/50.

Rodri needs someone who can challenge him. Phillips looked like a guy who's level is a relegation level side.

I don’t like to write players off after only 7 games but that was a very worrying performance tonight.

Normally you can see something, potential and take into account the lack of game time, getting used to the new club but he showed absolutely nothing tonight, not even any desire.

Hindsight maybe but we’d have been better off saving £40m and blooding in Lavia, at least he would have been available more often and we would have made more than the £15m we got for 0 games for us.

Rodri didn’t look great when he came in to challenge Fernandinho, and now Kalvin’s just proven how much we rely on Rodri.

Looked way off the mark tonight, but there’s a player in there that needs to follow the Rodri example. Hopefully if he plays in a side that’s not second string he’ll be afforded the opportunity to work through it.

Last edited:
I’ll definitely give him more time before making a decision, but how this guy cost 3 times more than what we sold Lavia for is very very hard to understand. Never struck me as a City type of player. No doubt a good player, but right now he’s a huge step down from Rodri. Only 27, so he’ll do well eventually, but seems like a bit of a pointless signing to me

Last edited:
I could be wrong here but every time I watched him for Leeds he was an aggressive, pressing midfielder, not a single pivot like Rodri.

I hope this isn’t a similar case to Grealish where we sign a top PL player and take away all the key attributes that made us buy him in the first place.

I predicted not just that kind of performance but this kind of reaction too (although I didn't for a moment think we would lose which amplifies it)

it was his debut ffs, he was never ever going to hit the ground running, Rodri took about 3 years to stop looking like a liability and become indispensable.

I thought it was much as expected, fine for his first game, needs more bite and tenacity to his game though which isn't something you can write off due to his first start, perhaps he's still getting over the psychological part of his shoulder injury.

Really no need to be saying much about him tonight, especially not writing him off after making his debut you fucking twats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.