4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Personally for me - he haven’t seen enough of him to determine whether he is good enough or not. I’d give him this second half of the season to prove himself and if he doesn’t look up to scratch - I’d move him on. We shouldn’t lose too much on him as we only paid £42m and at least £30-35m is easily reachable. Perhaps we could even break-even. You could put his current form down to injuries and a lack of sharpness.

So for me - I’d get rid if we doesn’t perform well in the second half of the season. Bring in a solid defensive midfielder - I’d have someone with a bit of tenacity like Fernandinho who can stop counter-attacks.

I also thought Phillips would do well for us and would mop up some of the counter-attacks but what has shocked me so far in his brief appearances is his poor technique. It was eye-opening watching Lavia the other night, just back from injury. He looks miles better than Phillips. Lavia is one that got away from us.
I agree,other than in respect of Lavia's exit.....not so much 'got away' but more pushed him out the door.

I agree,other than in respect of Lavia's exit.....not so much 'got away' but more pushed him out the door.
Hindsight is a lovely thing but I would much have preferred Lavia to get Phillips minutes this season, all 18 of them!!

Prepare yourself for a shock mate; Pep gets things wrong. He's great, but he's not infallible. There will be blunders and the occasional oversight. He got it wrong in Porto, has got some things wrong this season, bought some absolute duds in his first season here. Phillips, it's looking increasingly likely, is one those mistakes.

And no, I'm not a football coach. I judge players with my eyes. Lets frame it like this:

Would he get into Madrid's midfield? No.
Would he get into Barca's? No.
Bayern's? No.
PSG's? No.
Arsenal's? No.
United's? No.
Napoli's? Inter's? No.
I would argue he wouldn't even get in Newcastle's current midfield. You can include Spurs and Brighton too.

If he's not good enough for any of the aforementioned midfields, he shouldn't be good enough for ours. Leeds was his level, and I'd stake good money on him being binned in the summer.
All clubs make mistakes on transfers and we are no exception.

Phillips last summer looked a sensible buy at sensible money, sadly for a number of reasons not just injury it's been a terrible deal.

Get rid in the summer and buy real, genuine quality, we need it badly in midfield, no more compromises, you get what you pay for!

Didn't think he was up to standard when we signed him but I'm happy to wait and see if he proves me wrong. Feel like some are becoming increasingly patient, whether that's with Phillips or anyone else. Maybe I'm just noticing it more.
Patience is all well and good for a couple of players in any squad but we have too many simply not producing enough, we have far too many passengers in this squad and it's puts enormous strain on our first choice players.

Atm he’s not good enough for the first 11. It may be injuries or settling in and the lad needs time.

Hope he gets it, but if it’s the same next season, he’ll be moved on I think

The guy has had a nightmare first half to the season and what with injuries and loss of form through playing time it’s not worked well but give the lad a chance as he has moved from a club we’re he was idolised and also he was torn with even thinking about leaving. He deserves the same as Everyone else .

Prepare yourself for a shock mate; Pep gets things wrong. He's great, but he's not infallible. There will be blunders and the occasional oversight. He got it wrong in Porto, has got some things wrong this season, bought some absolute duds in his first season here. Phillips, it's looking increasingly likely, is one those mistakes.

And no, I'm not a football coach. I judge players with my eyes. Lets frame it like this:

Would he get into Madrid's midfield? No.
Would he get into Barca's? No.
Bayern's? No.
PSG's? No.
Arsenal's? No.
United's? No.
Napoli's? Inter's? No.
I would argue he wouldn't even get in Newcastle's current midfield. You can include Spurs and Brighton too.

If he's not good enough for any of the aforementioned midfields, he shouldn't be good enough for ours. Leeds was his level, and I'd stake good money on him being binned in the summer.
Fake news

Look, he either doesn't turn it around and we flog him, or he does turn it around and becomes a valuable member of the squad. Regardless of the outcome, let's at least get behind the lad, eh? It might work, it might not, but we could rest easy knowing we've done our bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.