4 | Kalvin Phillips - 2022/23 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought he was decent enough tonight. Only thing that worried me was when the game got fast-paced for a few mins in the 2nd half, he looked a prime candidate for collapsing out on the pitch. Hopefully it’s just lack of match-fitness. Much improved. More needed.
Maybe it’s because he’s in the position I played and so I am hyper focused on and critical of anyone playing there, but I actually thought he was pretty poor.

He was bullied off the ball a few times in midfield (at least one instance leading to a chance on goal), launched (and lost) two very tame challenges just outside of our box leading to chances for Bristol, played at least four passes directly to Bristol players under no pressure, lost most of his aerial duels, and at times looked to be hiding from the ball whilst we were in possession (in contrast to Lewis, who was constantly running in to space to demand the ball, often the space Phillips should have been in). I think we largely struggled because he was just not able to fill the role Rodri does in our system (I don’t mean to the same standard, as that would be unreasonable to expect, but that he was just not offering the same attributes). At times, it actually looked like our players were trying to avoid passing to him. His body language at times looked frustrated, as well. Those last two observations could be disputed, I’ll admit, but a few mates in my City WhatsApp chat also agreed, so I imagine I am not the only one that saw it.

Now, all of that said, I’d like to think that is mostly down to being rusty and, as you say, nowhere near match fit. And perhaps his teammates sensed his confidence is low and didn’t want to pile pressure on him.

Phillips is a different player to Rodri—who I would argue is one of the best DMs in the world—most players need at least a year to adjust to Pep’s tactics, and has been hit by injury (though, the shoulder problems were well-known before we signed him, which remains a head scratcher for me personally), so I am going to reserve judgement.

But I am definitely surprised that others thought he played well tonight. I would say he was ok at best if we’re grading on a curve (based on him just coming back from a long lay off).

Hopefully this 90 minutes gives him something to build on and we see more from him through these difficult next few months.

I am definitely going to support him, either way.

Last edited:
I thought at times going forward he was good. Unlucky not to score in first min. However, there were other times when he wasn’t so good. Some examples of weak challenges as they highlighted at half time and loose passing, the biggest issue for me was his lack of being available for the defence to pass to when under pressure.

To be fair to him though he must be under an incredible amount of pressure to perform now though so everything he does will be going through his mind.

I’m not convinced he is going to make it with us but time will tell.

He needs game time, played exactly like you would expect a player who has had played the equivalent on 3 full games all season including pre season.

We won the game and rested Rodri so job done but still so much more needed from Kalvin. This is a mid table Championship side, albeit in good form. But he didn't run the game or dominate by any stretch. A good game to get under his belt and hopefully take some confidence and fitness going forwards.

Maybe it’s because he’s in the position I played and so I am hyper focused on and critical of anyone playing there, but I actually thought he was pretty poor.

He was bullied off the ball a few times in midfield (at least one instance leading to a chance on goal), launched (and lost) two very tame challenges just outside of our box leading to chances for Bristol, played at least four passes directly to Bristol players under no pressure, lost most of his aerial duels, and at times looked to be hiding from the ball whilst we were in possession (in contrast to Lewis, who was constantly running in to space to demand the ball, often the space Phillips should have been in). I think we largely struggled because he was just not able to fill the role Rodri does in our system (I don’t mean to the same standard, as that would be unreasonable to expect, but that he was just not offering the same attributes). At times, it actually looked like our players were trying to avoid passing to him. His body language at times looked frustrated, as well. Those last two observations could be disputed, I’ll admit, but a few mates in my City WhatsApp chat also agreed, so I imagine I am not the only one that saw it.

Now, all of that said, I’d like to think that is mostly down to being rusty and, as you say, nowhere near match fit. And perhaps his teammates sensed his confidence is low and didn’t want to pile pressure on him.

Phillips is a different player to Rodri—who I would argue is one of the best DMs in the world—most players need at least a year to adjust to Pep’s tactics, and has been hit by injury (though, the shoulder problems were well-known before we signed him, which remains a head scratcher for me personally), so I am going to reserve judgement.

But I am definitely surprised that others thought he played well tonight. I would say he was ok at best if we’re grading on a curve (based on him just coming back from a long lay off).
Yeah he was pretty poor, standards for him are too low.
Misplaced passes, slipping, got dribbled past easily
Hoping he improves his game tho
Exceptional player when I watch him in the England shirt

Got through 90 with no costly errors what more can you ask on his first start really

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.