44 Years Ago… Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond

It's true that his last season went downhill big time, and he's not remembered in a good light largely because of that. On the other side of the coin John Bond was a guest at our SC Branch in Manchester at the time when he had dropped Nicky Reid in favour of Kevin Bond. From the floor I asked him outright as to why, and he answered that it was down to a mixture of application and ability. He also said that if I would care to approach him after the meeting he would buy me a pint and he would be happy to chat further. So I did, and sure enough he bought me a pint and went into detail about what had gone on. Basically, he claimed that some players at the club didn't train as well as he required, and their attitude wasn't right, Reid being one of them. He also said that he liked Reid and hoped that it would give him the kick up the arse to go out and win back his place. He was happy to talk a lot more about the way he felt the club was going and TBF he came across as a decent enough bloke. Much better than his public persona, in fact. Perhaps he might have done better at City if we had a chairman who delivered on his promises to the Manager.
I knew Nick when I was a kid. The one thing you couldn't doubt was his application. Bond is a lying twat

I knew Nick when I was a kid. The one thing you couldn't doubt was his application. Bond is a lying twat
You could be right, but none of us know what really went on behind the scenes. Personally I was a big Nicky Reid fan and was really sorry when he eventually left. Maybe he didnt like Bond's style of management and that came across on the training pitch. It happens. Only Nicky and JB would have known the truth of the matter.

Last edited:
That's so weird him saying that. I was about 8 or 9 when he fucked Reid off, but what I do remember reading in City programmes is that Reid was massively into his fitness. I remember one of them interviews and question and answer things, and whilst a lot of players loved snooker or going to the pub, he loved to train and go for runs in the hills etc. That interview sticks in my mind.
the thing is he didnt fuck Reid off he played him in midfield so he could play his son in def. Reid played 42 games that season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.