44 Years Ago… Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond, Johnny Bond

Yeah lots of fans disagree with managers views on players best posistion still to this day ; )

I was a big Nicky Reid fan at the time, he looked as tho he would d run through brick walls for us. Kevin Bond had to deal with a lot of stick but perhaps justified his selection by winning player of the season.at centre back .

Reid and Caton were two of my fav players at the time ,but neither were flawless in the critical posistion of centre back.iirc.

Still.. home grown players attract a lot of leeway, unless your name is Ian Bowyer , Paul Power or Richard Edghill !

I think back to those days, it’s mad really as every time they play Boys in Blue in the ground, I always think of that era, and the players back then, I was like 11/12, Caton, Reid, Ranson and my fav at the time Bobby Mac, loved Kevin Reeves as well and obviously Tueart, special times and even though thankfully most are still around to see how things are these days I still will always have a huge affection for those times, apart from Swales of course, but was too young to understand the damage he was doing behind the scenes.

Bond was a big head, his son was below average, but it was those days that made me fall in love and it was well worth it in the end I suppose……..just :)

The problem with any discussion about Bond's time at City is that we tend to forget the 81-82 season and how it finished so badly with only 5 wins from the last 22 games, falling attendances, and a sense that some of the short term heroes from the previous season were now slow and ageing.

Instead it's easier to blame the excesses and stupidity of the Malcolm Allison regime and celebrate the memories of the 81 Cup run (undoubtedly exaggerated because we didn't have another decent cup run for 30 years)

Bond didn't trust young players and quickly replaced Roger Palmer with Phil Boyer

He then sold Tony Henry, Steve Mackenzie, and Dave Bennett, whilst publicly lambasting Nicky Reid and Clive Wilson in the match programme.

None of these players were necessarily world beaters, but equally Palmer, Henry, and Mackenzie had all scored in Manchester derbies and were a damm sight better than most of the dross that followed for literally the rest of the decade.

None of this mitigates the self inflicted damage of the late 70s, but the squad that Bond inherited was considerably more talented than the one that capitulated at Brighton in the FA Cup

I look back fondly at my first season 80-81 and first half of the next season as Bond did a good job in the short term with older players and some of the younger ones. Those Cup runs and the surge up the table were magical and I don't recall quite so much negativity at the time towards Bond other than the Nicky Reid/Kevin Bond issue.

I don't view him negatively overall but he only halted the decline brought by Swales and Allison temporarily, papering over the cracks, so to speak.

He didn't need to sign Kevin or a just past it Martin O'Neill or Phil Boyer, who was decent until his injury. Bond should have trusted youth.

I've read some of those programme notes years back and even though it was a different age, when player power wasn't what it is now, some of the things Bond came out with about some of the lads was bang out of order. Don't ask me to quote them as my programmes are buried deep somewhere in a box.

Instead of wasting money on has-beens or his son, he could have been keeping at least one of Steve Mackenzie and Dave Bennett, especially the latter. Very good Division One players.

I would rather have seen Stevie Mack long term rather than us signing Graham Baker who was OK but not as good.

Nicky Reid should have been brought on further.

Clive Wilson was criminally under used even as a youngster. With more encouragement from Bond he'd have progressed and we would have had a player who actually wanted the ball alongside, in front or behind Power. Too many older players hid or were fighting each other when we'd have been better with the balance tipping slightly more towards younger players.

If Swales had held his bloody nerve and him and his board been stronger in insisting on balance rather than past it signings in the summers of 81 and 82, and keeping hold of Francis in the latter, cup runs would have boosted gates and revenue.

A team of Corrigan/Williams; Ranson, Reid, Caton, MacDonald; Bennett, Mackenzie, Hartford, Power; Reeves, Francis

With Clive Wilson or Roger Palmer on the bench would have been a decent squad at a time when less players were used.

Keeping Bennett would have taken the pressure of Tueart whose achilles sadly snapped in that 2-3 collapse at home to Sunderland in Dec 81. Denis was never the same when he eventually came back.

It's not hindsight by the way. Selling Bennett and Mackenzie was disappointing at the time. Much as I liked Martin O'Neill, we didn't need him nor did we use him properly plus he was past it.

Whenever I saw Wilson (rare under Bondy), he looked very promising. Palmer was worth keeping as an impact sub at least.

After the folly of Mal and Swales and their overreliance on youth, Bond tipped the scales too far the other way.

If bloody If...

Last edited:
As I recall at the time the issue was that many City fans thought Reid’s best position was centre half and Bond played his son there and moved Reid to midfield.

Nicky Reid was a terrific centre half despite being just 5 ft 9 1/2 in (don't forget the half (same height as me!)). Very quick, good spring, fierce in the tackle, bloody ruthless and could carry the ball out of defence, though often he'd end up by the opposition corner flag). Not a bad right back but not sure he read the game well enough to play all the time in midfield. Should not have been moved to accommodate Kevin.

Last edited:
I think back to those days, it’s mad really as every time they play Boys in Blue in the ground, I always think of that era, and the players back then, I was like 11/12, Caton, Reid, Ranson and my fav at the time Bobby Mac, loved Kevin Reeves as well and obviously Tueart, special times and even though thankfully most are still around to see how things are these days I still will always have a huge affection for those times, apart from Swales of course, but was too young to understand the damage he was doing behind the scenes.

Bond was a big head, his son was below average, but it was those days that made me fall in love and it was well worth it in the end I suppose……..just :)
Loved those days ftom Nov 80 to Christmas 81 and The Boys in Blue brings them back for me too because that was where iit all began for me, and what a powerful song it is. Maybe in another generation...just a few eh...

As an aside, in the 2nd of half of 82/83 with the Kippax singing "We never win at home and we never win away..." (which sadly wasn't that far from the truth) I found myself going home after yet another disappointment, singing "the Boys in Blue never play well."

I think Kevin was OK but no better than Nicky Reid except at penalties!

Last edited:
It was not as bad at City that a lot of people made it out to be.

The Fans Loved Big Mal and fans started to turn on Swales and not him, but one big thing Big Mal forgot, He was sackable, The ego Big Mal had he never thought he would be sacked, Looking back at the documentary Big Mal said they will not have to sack me, I would walk if i can not see the light at the end of the tunnel with this bunch of players,

Johnny Bond walked into a job with a very good squad of young players that needed some old heads to help them settle down and learn how to win games, it's not rocket science, Get somebody with experience to show the young players how to control yourself mentally and play under pressure.

Johnny Bond did what any manager would do and get 3 or 4 players that have been around the game for years and got the miles on the clock,

Sadly the Damage Big Mal did to Manchester City was always going to be the next managers problems, Money from the golden years of the late 1960s early 70s was spent by Big Mal, Swales was now taking out loans on assets from the banks on future season tickets sales,

Johnny Bond wanted 4 or 5 new players and Trevor Francis was the key for City to bring in the other talent and sell the club to them, Swales lied about available funds to Bond and we all know how it ended, Every single Manager City signed from then on was always Doomed to Fail under Swales, Simply they was always one bad run of form and relegation away from the sack,

I look back fondly at my first season 80-81 and first half of the next season as Bond did a good job in the short term with older players and some of the younger ones. Those Cup runs and the surge up the table were magical and I don't recall quite so much negativity at the time towards Bond other than the Nicky Reid/Kevin Bond issue.

I don't view him negatively overall but he only halted the decline brought by Swales and Allison temporarily, papering over the cracks, so to speak.

He didn't need to sign Kevin or a just past it Martin O'Neill or Phil Boyer, who was decent until his injury. Bond should have trusted youth.

I've read some of those programme notes years back and even though it was a different age, when player power wasn't what it is now, some of the things Bond came out with about some of the lads was bang out of order. Don't ask me to quote them as my programmes are buried deep somewhere in a box.

Instead of wasting money on has-beens or his son, he could have been keeping at least one of Steve Mackenzie and Dave Bennett, especially the latter. Very good Division One players.

I would rather have seen Stevie Mack long term rather than us signing Graham Baker who was OK but not as good.

Nicky Reid should have been brought on further.

Clive Wilson was criminally under used even as a youngster. With more encouragement from Bond he'd have progressed and we would have had a player who actually wanted the ball alongside, in front or behind Power. Too many older players hid or were fighting each other when we'd have been better with the balance tipping slightly more towards younger players.

If Swales had held his bloody nerve and him and his board been stronger in insisting on balance rather than past it signings in the summers of 81 and 82, and keeping hold of Francis in the latter, cup runs would have boosted gates and revenue.

A team of Corrigan/Williams; Ranson, Reid, Caton, MacDonald; Bennett, Mackenzie, Hartford, Power; Reeves, Francis

With Clive Wilson or Roger Palmer on the bench would have been a decent squad at a time when less players were used.

Keeping Bennett would have taken the pressure of Tueart whose achilles sadly snapped in that 2-3 collapse at home to Sunderland in Dec 81. Dennis was never the same when he eventually came back.

It's not hindsight by the way. Selling Bennett and Mackenzie was disappointing at the time. Much as I liked Martin O'Neill, we didn't need him nor did we use him properly plus he was past it.

Whenever I saw Wilson (rare under Bondy), he looked very promising. Palmer was worth keeping an an impact sub at least.

After the folly of Mal and Swales and their overreliance on youth, Bond tipped the scales too far the other way.

If bloody If...
Remember Denis getting injured. He was on a great run of goalscoring including one nils at Everton and at home v Villa.

Remember Denis getting injured. He was on a great run of goalscoring including one nils at Everton and at home v Villa.

Terrible moment on a freezing day in the middle of cold snap which wouldn't have helped Denis. We went from 2-1 up, singing "Merry Christmas, Sunderland...," to poor Denis getting injured suddenly, young 17 year old Barry Venison coming on, setting up the equaliser and scoring their winner.

Very well observed.

Surprised no-one has mentioned that preposterous drop he did from the front of the director’s box, after we’d beat Norwich 6-0 in the Cup.

I think signing your own son, unless he’s world class, is far too replete with risk. Actually Kevin Bond wasn’t a bad footballer, but he was no Franco Baresi. And he displaced fan’s’ favourite, Nicky Reid. That was always going to accentuate any claims of nepotism. He scored an amazing goal against Everton though, and a penalty at Anfield in one of our only three wins there in the last 70 years. So not a complete disaster.

20 seconds in.

Billy Fuckin Wright....the fat bastard (takes one to know one before anywhere gets offended)

Still hurts today,Reid had been pulled out of position otherwise he'd have got a tackle in no problem Villa got no joy out of him in either game. That was when the FA Cup mean't more than anything was heartbroke.
Still hurts today. Our headmaster supported Tottenham and milked it in assembly to make it worse.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.