#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
It still seems to me that because of his talent, his ability to affect the game from any position he’s being utilised in a way to facilitate players not as good as him.

Weird comparison, but that's what Simeone did with Felix and ended up ruining him, sometimes you would find him playing as a winger and on other occasions as a deep lying playmaker, because of Simeone's ultra defensive tactics.

Pretty much same is happening with Grealish, appeared in both of our wins against Chelsea, a team that countered Guardiola's tactics quite easily last season. He is preferring "retaining possession/control" over individual brilliance, so far it has worked, but lets see whether we will be able to replicate it in Champions League.

As frustrating as it is to see Foden not perform like we know he can, I think his round holes in square peg development will make him a better player in the future.

As soon as we get that striker he will rocket.

Think the criticism of him is a little harsh. He was involved again in some of the good stuff in the final third (particularly first half). He is playing false 9. He plays it better than anyone else in our team currently, hence why he’s being put there for matches. He would be the first name on the team sheet to play left side of a front 3, but other players are getting match time there (and elsewhere) because their drop off in performance is too great. It’s a sum of the parts equation for Pep.

I think this season is just part of his development as a player. Being shunted from position to position isn’t making his individual game stand out but it’s a means to an end which will benefit him as a player in the future.
We’ve got the next decade of him to look forward to and I’m certain he will fulfill his potential, absolutely no doubt.

As frustrating as it is to see Foden not perform like we know he can, I think his round holes in square peg development will make him a better player in the future.

As soon as we get that striker he will rocket.

That's what I think too, even though I would like Delap to start but Guardiola won't sacrifice this current system unless it's for a player like "Haaland", his numbers will skyrocket if Haaland arrives.

Last season he was imposing himself on games but he seems to be going missing quite often this year. Wonder if it's the position he's playing or a drop in form

I think it’s the position. Barely got a touch of the ball last night and was up against two giants.

I can’t remember many times when he was played in or the ball wasn’t in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.