#47 | Phil Foden - 2021/22 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's usually so calm and composed in front of goal but he's snatched at a few against utd this season, he hit the post with one at their place didn't he? One he'd usually score. He's probably just desperate to score in a derby, it's the stuff of dreams for any fan!

The one time he got it bang on and De Gea pulls off a wordy save. Typical.

Overall he was great again I thought - after a quiet couple of weeks (midweek aside). He was never going to beat slabhead and Lindelof in strength so he took the piss in every other way instead. Brilliant.

Just to be clear, I adore Foden. I think he is a generational talent. Possibly, the most uniquely gifted English footballer in my lifetime (48 years). At the moment, he is doing a great job in a position that is so difficult to play, does so much work that often goes unnoticed (e.g. pulling defenders all around the place) and is often not able to show off his strengths as much as he could do if he played in other positions. He is playing with the intelligence of someone much older.

However, you can understand why Pep does not use him so much in midfield. A couple of times at the weekend and a number of occasions this season, he has lost the ball 40-50 yards from our goal. Sometimes a loose pass, occasionally because he is trying to turn when it isn't on. He needs to respect possession a little in more those instances. It really makes you appreciate how good David Silva was in such tight spaces in that area of the pitch. He played as if he had a rear view mirror. I cannot even remember him ever losing the ball in our half or around the half-way line.

Just to be clear, I adore Foden. I think he is a generational talent. Possibly, the most uniquely gifted English footballer in my lifetime (48 years). At the moment, he is doing a great job in a position that is so difficult to play, does so much work that often goes unnoticed (e.g. pulling defenders all around the place) and is often not able to show off his strengths as much as he could do if he played in other positions. He is playing with the intelligence of someone much older.

However, you can understand why Pep does not use him so much in midfield. A couple of times at the weekend and a number of occasions this season, he has lost the ball 40-50 yards from our goal. Sometimes a loose pass, occasionally because he is trying to turn when it isn't on. He needs to respect possession a little in more those instances. It really makes you appreciate how good David Silva was in such tight spaces in that area of the pitch. He played as if he had a rear view mirror. I cannot even remember him ever losing the ball in our half or around the half-way line.

Most uniquely gifted player in the last 48 years. Have you not seen gazza or Glenn hoddle. I would say foden is below both.

Most uniquely gifted player in the last 48 years. Have you not seen gazza or Glenn hoddle. I would say foden is below both.

Relative to age, he is better, imo.

As for Hoddle, a very good passer and read the game well. I'd say Foden is better at everything else. Much better techically. Reading the game will prove with age.

You have a point but KDB has lost the ball plenty of times in that position. David was the absolute master of dictating and keeping possession. Although, in fairness he couldn’t beat people and go away from them like Foden can.

He’s turning into a real nuisance for opposing defenders. Apart from his ability on the ball, his closing-down is incredible.

Boundless energy, enthusiasm and speed. He's clearly learning from Bernardo in that sense.

When he has a striker to make runs off he'll be scoring 20+ a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.