47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Keep playing him in the middle or he will never reach his full potential. He ain’t a winger will never be. There‘s a RW at Eindhoven who might be the next big thing. If Doku is exciting Bakayoko definitely is too. He won’t get better if he barely plays there. Wirtz as an example got the full support of his club to play and start there after Havertz left. We should do the same and let Foden play at that position. But after this game who knows what Pep is gonna do with him. If I was him I would be fed up by now. Doesn’t matter if I was at the club since I was like 5.

Pep isn't here to do what's best for Foden. Pep was one of the best midfielders as a player and is probably the manager who understands midfield better than anyone. Foden has to show he has the awareness to play in midfield. The foul he made in our box showed he isn't quite there yet.

He lost the ball at a poor moment but it had nothing to do with strength.

Even then, a lot happened between him losing the ball and then conceding the penalty. He's far from blameless but Pep more or less putting the dropping of two points all on him is shameful and I'm surprised more blues aren't upset at his comments, as I am.

I thought he played well for 70 minutes. His assist for Jack was brilliant.
It’s not just Pep. Plenty on this forum are quick to stick the boots into Foden too. There far worse performers in this team this season that get less stick from Pep and our fan base.

He lost the ball at a poor moment but it had nothing to do with strength.

Even then, a lot happened between him losing the ball and then conceding the penalty. He's far from blameless but Pep more or less putting the dropping of two points all on him is shameful and I'm surprised more blues aren't upset at his comments, as I am.

I thought he played well for 70 minutes. His assist for Jack was brilliant.
Agree.

I agree that Phil did not contribute enough defensively in some occasions in some previous matches but today he really put a shift in and worked very hard.

It is on Pep why not subbing him and Rico off after 70 min when they both faded.

Pep’s post-match comments are unfair. HE has decided to play Phil more centrally and to put it all on him for a mistake feels like deflection to me. Yes, Phil screwed up but that’s not the reason we’ve been consistently losing leads last minute this season. And he wasn’t to blame for the first conceded goal.

Pep might need to take a look at himself a bit more this season.

Pep’s post-match comments are unfair. HE has decided to play Phil more centrally and to put it all on him for a mistake feels like deflection to me. Yes, Phil screwed up but that’s not the reason we’ve been consistently losing leads last minute this season. And he wasn’t to blame for the first conceded goal.

Pep might need to take a look at himself a bit more this season.
Did Pep out Phil?
I've not seen that as I was out tonight.

Did Pep out Phil?
I've not seen that as I was out tonight.
He didn't call him out by name but said, "We gave away two points. You give away this penalty, you deserve it."

IMO that's disingenuous and a simplistic way to look at why we dropped points today while leaving that that it's a far deeper fundamental issue at the door as it's happened multiple times for months now.

Pep does have a point as it was an indvidual error that cost us the win. The only issue with his statment it still should have stayed away from the media glare (although that is impossible to hide from it)

People keep asking to put Foden in a more central position behind the striker, claiming that Alvarez is not getting any results, and then we see what happens today. This is not on Foden or Alvarez, it's the whole system that's failing.

Pep does have a point as it was an indvidual error that cost us the win. The only issue with his statment it still should have stayed away from the media glare (although that is impossible to hide from it)
To focus on the action that caused the award of the penalty in isolation is not right.

The passage of play before that was an error by Silva. You could say the passage before that and failure to clear the ball into touch from the headed clearance was also an error.

Mistakes were made by multiple players in the build up to the awarding of the penalty. Penalty or goal there’s always mistakes that are made and things that could have been done differently.

The Team had plenty of opportunity before that phase and throughout the match to have won this match comfortably.

Maybe Pep and his coaching staff need to focus a little more on the collective shortcomings in matches this season and not an individual decision/moment in one.

He didn't call him out by name but said, "We gave away two points. You give away this penalty, you deserve it."

IMO that's disingenuous and a simplistic way to look at why we dropped points today while leaving that that it's a far deeper fundamental issue at the door as it's happened multiple times for months now.
Phil had plenty opportunity to play the ball ibto Bernardo and pissed around with it and lost possession. You can't be then swinging your leg in the penalty area at the end of the game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.