47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

I remember after the Villa game on this thread Foden was getting criticism and I said he’s the least of our worries at the minute.

Our best player this season and in line for player of the year so far in the league i’d imagine

If you mean PFA player of the year, your miles off 80/1, just ahead of Fernandes and Nunez in the betting!

Madness

But even Gundogan didn’t play next to Rodri, yes he was slightly deeper than Silva but he was’t a second pivot he got into the box and around the attacking third. When Pep says deeper think he probably means more Gundagan than as deep as Rodri.
Ideally for Pep he has a fit Stones and he’s the one that steps up next to Rodri.
Yep, why can't Phil play a similar role to Gundogan as the season(s) progress.

Then either Stones or Akanji can push up next to Rodri.

Yep, why can't Phil play a similar role to Gundogan as the season(s) progress.

Then either Stones or Akanji can push up next to Rodri.
Because he can’t defend next to Rodri yet. Gundo could, Bernardo can, Kovacic can, Rico can, Nunes can. I’d like Pep to be asked about it in a press conference to hear if Phil is getting closer to learning that side of the role, but a journo asking interesting questions seems unlikely.

I’m not talking about him playing deeper in possession. I mean he has to learn to play deeper OUT of possession to be able to play centrally when KDB is back in the team, because our out of possession shape is 442 and the 2 high players centrally are Haaland and KDB. The other 8 has to drop next to Rodri. Pep has always hinted/suggested that Phil needs to learn certain things to be able to do that.

As I say though, I’d love to hear Pep’s latest thoughts on where Foden is with that development, as the coaches are presumably working with him in training on those things.

If you mean PFA player of the year, your miles off 80/1, just ahead of Fernandes and Nunez in the betting!

Madness
He's 25-1 on Betfair, so I assume his recent performances have been noted.

Haaland odds on favourite, then Rice, Rodri, Salah, and Alexander-Arnold just ahead of Foden.

What the fuck Rodri has to do to get it, I don't know. Maybe move to Arsenal, and not be too disappointing.

Because he can’t defend next to Rodri yet. Gundo could, Bernardo can, Kovacic can, Rico can, Nunes can. I’d like Pep to be asked about it in a press conference to hear if Phil is getting closer to learning that side of the role, but a journo asking interesting questions seems unlikely.

I’m not talking about him playing deeper in possession. I mean he has to learn to play deeper OUT of possession to be able to play centrally when KDB is back in the team, because our out of possession shape is 442 and the 2 high players centrally are Haaland and KDB. The other 8 has to drop next to Rodri. Pep has always hinted/suggested that Phil needs to learn certain things to be able to do that.

As I say though, I’d love to hear Pep’s latest thoughts on where Foden is with that development, as the coaches are presumably working with him in training on those things.

I don't think Pep even particularly wants him to learn that role. I can see the all rounder 8 role lessening his impact in the pockets where hes best and Pep just preferring to have him as that if hes consistently doing the business. he's done similar things with kdb in recent years turning him into more of a 10 than an 8. Phil's best when he's spinning on the spot and driving forward, the things he excels in belong in the final third, he's naturally going to do those things much less further back anyway so why bother having him there when we don't have a shortage of players for that role?
He'll remain a 10/winger/false 9 imo. At least until the current squad looks very different

He's 25-1 on Betfair, so I assume his recent performances have been noted.

Haaland odds on favourite, then Rice, Rodri, Salah, and Alexander-Arnold just ahead of Foden.

What the fuck Rodri has to do to get it, I don't know. Maybe move to Arsenal, and not be too disappointing.
SkyBet still have 80-1, so did a cheeky £5.

Haaland doesn’t deserve it this time yet, Salah will be away at AFCON and KDB has been injured.

There are a couple of flavour of the months in Alexander Arnold and Rice who could win it for no reason other then hype. Rodri is the stand out although to be fair has missed 4 games to suspension which isn’t great.

C’mon on Phil.

People still don't understand how good he is. I've just waded through page after page of another player thread where people are still being genuinely delusional about Phil's level of technical ability.

And I don't get why any City fan could be anything other than excited to have him as one of our own. Players like him are what keep me in love with the sport.

I just wish I could find a space to talk with like-minded individuals who don't feel like they're entitled to a 10/10 performance every single week and who don't have god awful "look at me, aren't I going against the grain?" takes on every fucking thread.

Some of you really don't know your onions. You make it abundantly clear week after week, month after month, season after season. Imagine spending that many years of your life watching something closely and still not understanding it to any discernable degree.

Phil Foden is a legitimately phenomenal player who has been doing the business for seven fucking years. It's not opinion, it's a statement of fucking fact.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.