47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
People still don't understand how good he is. I've just waded through page after page of another player thread where people are still being genuinely delusional about Phil's level of technical ability.

And I don't get why any City fan could be anything other than excited to have him as one of our own. Players like him are what keep me in love with the sport.

I just wish I could find a space to talk with like-minded individuals who don't feel like they're entitled to a 10/10 performance every single week and who don't have god awful "look at me, aren't I going against the grain?" takes on every fucking thread.

Some of you really don't know your onions. You make it abundantly clear week after week, month after month, season after season. Imagine spending that many years of your life watching something closely and still not understanding it to any discernable degree.

Phil Foden is a legitimately phenomenal player who has been doing the business for seven fucking years. It's not opinion, it's a statement of fucking fact.

Well said. One of the best players in world football for me. I hear others raving about other players his age or younger and imo they are not at his level.

I don't usually defend Southgate but he does have some tough decisions to make. He's got Bellingham, Foden, AND Maddison who all more or less want to play the same position. The LW is the most open position, but it's unfair to ask Phil to do a job over there when he hasn't played there in ages. Although I have little doubt he would do a job simply because of his talent.
He has but Bellingham can play deeper and still get forwards with his pace and power. Big if but if Stones is fit he can step forwards to help Rice. Won’t happen as waistcoat will play 2 holders and we’ll come up short as usual. Saka has the right side nailed down and Grealish should play left to give England some control. Phil will probably get shifted to the left though and first quiet game in the tournament he’ll be hooked.

People still don't understand how good he is. I've just waded through page after page of another player thread where people are still being genuinely delusional about Phil's level of technical ability.

And I don't get why any City fan could be anything other than excited to have him as one of our own. Players like him are what keep me in love with the sport.

I just wish I could find a space to talk with like-minded individuals who don't feel like they're entitled to a 10/10 performance every single week and who don't have god awful "look at me, aren't I going against the grain?" takes on every fucking thread.

Some of you really don't know your onions. You make it abundantly clear week after week, month after month, season after season. Imagine spending that many years of your life watching something closely and still not understanding it to any discernable degree.

Phil Foden is a legitimately phenomenal player who has been doing the business for seven fucking years. It's not opinion, it's a statement of fucking fact.

For me, his ability has never been in question, I don't even know why anybody would question that.

I'm happy now he's showing consistency to match his ability. Of course nobody should be expecting 10/10 every week, but I think it's fair to say at times he's been putting in more 6's and 7's and not enough 8's and 9's that his ability is capable of... but that's been changing as of late. That consistency to keep putting in very good performances is what separates top players from decent players.

If he keeps it up, he'll be one of the best in the world. He has more than enough ability to be in that class and conversation but now I think we're seeing him mature and have the self belief he is that good.

I'm happy now he's showing consistency to match his ability. Of course nobody should be expecting 10/10 every week, but I think it's fair to say at times he's been putting in more 6's and 7's and not enough 8's and 9's that his ability is capable of... but that's been changing as of late. That consistency to keep putting in very good performances is what separates top players from decent players.

There is nothing separating him from the top players. He's right up there with the best.

It's perhaps easier to see how good De Bruyne is because he tends to be playing Hollywood passes, so you have a few seconds to appreciate the skill.

Foden regularly has touches and passes that are just as impressive, but they're so often first touches in tight areas, where the ball is with another player before you have time to take anything in. It can take a slow motion replay to show just how ridiculous his touch was, and that he's playing at a level that very few players in the World are capable of.

There is nothing separating him from the top players. He's right up there with the best.

I'd say at times he's lacked the consistency I'd expect from a true world class player.

Rodri is a world class player and performs at a high standard in his position almost every time he plays, hence why we miss him badly when he doesn't. I don't think Foden has shown world class consistency very often but started to recently.

Technically speaking, he is a cut above every other English player in my opinion but now is the time put in top performances on a very regular basis. That's what separates the top players from others, not just ability.

Rodri is a world class player and performs at a high standard in his position almost every time he plays

He's had some dogshit performances this season. Everyone does. That's football. There isn't a single player in this squad who doesn't have patches of poor form.

Foden has been consistent pretty much his entire career, up until a brief spell before the world cup and his appendicitis.

That's exactly why every commentator and every pundit with even half a brain raves about him in pretty much every match.

He's had some dogshit performances this season. Everyone does. That's football. There isn't a single player in this squad who doesn't have patches of poor form.

Foden has been consistent pretty much his entire career, up until a brief spell before the world cup and his injury.

That's exactly why every commentator and every pundit with even half a brain raves about him in pretty much every match.

But what level of consistency?

I'd say he was more of a consistent 7/10 player with the odd rating above that now and again. True world class players produce 8+/10 performances on a much more regular basis than Foden had been.

Thats just my opinion though but I think it's a realistic one.

But I'm true believer in his ability and think he's truly about to come into his own and start being a force regularly.

Its one thing having a world class ability that people can rave about. Its another thing being a world class perfomer on a regular basis. That's the next step for him and I think he will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.