47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Poor, but there was zero room in the middle for him and KDB. Ten Hag mentioned in his pre-match interview that they game-planned for him, and it worked really well, tbf. He still played a great ball to Alvarez that should have been finished off.
We played into their hands with no direct threats on the flanks until Doku came on. All Ten Hag did was have them play very narrow, pray for a huge mistake or two, which we obviously made, and hope we weren't clinical in front of goal. Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while...

Doesn't work hard enough to be playing in the middle, Amrabum can't run but didn't really have to to keep tabs on him. Ball switched numerous times to Gvardiol who was left no options as Foden didn't get on his bike to support. The distance Fernandes built between them to assist the second not acceptable.
Shit analyses...we had no direct threats to speak of on the flanks and that allowed ManUre to sit in very narrow taking away any space inside. Pep played into their hands by not starting Doku. There isn't a 10 on the planet who can dominate consistently without any wide threats. The golden child at Real has Vini, Jr. and Rodrygo precluding anyone from sitting in narrow without getting absolutely scorched...BTW, the distance you're talking about on the 2nd was down to a very poor recovery from Kova, go back and watch it. I'm hoping for your sake you're just talking out of frustration otherwise you need to do a better job of opening your eyes...

Pep knows and sees all.

His handling of Phil has been exemplary. Lest we forget, he oversaw the emergence of Messi so knows what it takes.

Foden already must be one of the most successful English players, even ignoring age. Two things Pep has done:
1. Ensured he is not a one trick pony. He has the adaptability, mental and physical strength with great awareness and skill to adapt to any position/style/team (Sancho's weaknesses have been exposed after leaving City prematurely?)
2. Taught him about tempo and influencing the whole team yet still improving his personal performance. (Palmer has had a great, injury free season but his performances and influence still does not match Phil and will come under scrutiny during his second Chelsea season as teams know how to play him and will target him for personal attention)

It seems Phils willingness to learn, long term thinking, love of City and respect for Pep and others at the Club has paid off. Not only has he emerged as a world class player amongst the elite, arguably player of the year by all, as well as all the trophies to show as proof at a very young age.
Agree with much of what you say but unsure why you felt the need to draw Palmer into the proceedings. . .? It'maybe obvious Foden has had a more Influential season..he has had much better players around him ,so a bit of a redudant debate really ,having a settled pattern of play, regular team mates of a very high quality is of obvious benefit when comparing the two players " influence "

Your comments about Palmer next season are purely conjecture,and imo great players will always deal with close marking / increased attention..we will see..This is Fodens 7th (?) seasons of first team football. Palmers 1st.. Ending up 2nd top goal scorer to prob the best striker in world football is no mean feat. Esp playing for that disparate group of players...

're Sancho..I've not watched the lad this season,but I believe he starts in the Champions league final in a few hours time ...not a bad turnaround after leaving the basket case which is old Trafford.

Fair play to the lad...

I'm salivating at what next season brings from him. I really think he has levels left in him. I wouldnt be surprised if he breaks the 20 prem goals next season and hits it for the foreseeable future.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.