47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Truth is Foden is an odd fit even for us. People say he's playing out of position but where he played for England was similar to 97% of his appearances for us. The only way he works for Southgate is to play him false 9, which would never happen but I think would give England a better chance. You'd probably need Grealish for the left though.
I don’t agree. Foden is a product of our academy, and over his EDS and first team stints, has been groomed to play the way we (the club/Pep) play, and in all the positions we expect AMs to play.

Unlike a club, a national team cannot buy players to suit their style. They put players in their preferred positions and play to their strengths. England are not doing that with a number of players, including chiefly Foden.

Truth is Foden is an odd fit even for us. People say he's playing out of position but where he played for England was similar to 97% of his appearances for us. The only way he works for Southgate is to play him false 9, which would never happen but I think would give England a better chance. You'd probably need Grealish for the left though.
* for the first 10 minutes, after that he was stuck on the left wing

Either play him in the middle or the right. If Southgate isn’t prepared to play both Bellingham and Foden in the middle then he needs to bench one of them because Saka will start on the right. Months ago Southgate said he wouldn't play Phil in the middle as he doesn’t play there for his club. Well he doesn’t play wide left.

I'm only a 13 minutes into this analysis, but it's pretty good.

Highlights multiple times in the first 30 minutes where Foden makes the pass and run and doesn't get the return. One time where he does and miscontrols it, to be fair too. But also one time where he's seeing the obvious pass for TAA or Rice and it doesn't come.

I'd agree with most of that.

I'm glad stones and walker are over there with him.

For some reason Southgate can't see this. You can't tell me Phil is a better option for the left wing than Raheem, who with his experience and scoring ability should be there. he's not exactly old.
I agree with this. As poor of a season as Sterling had, I still thought he should have been called up.

Time to shine Phil. Even if it means being a bit more selfish from time to time. Grab the game by the scruff of the next and show the naysayers what you’re all about x

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.