47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
He wasn't remotely as bad as some non-City fans thought, but he had a poor tournament.

Guess it was a combination of being a bit tired, Southgate's tactics, being somewhat shy (in contrast to Bellingham)...

I think he'll have a great tournament in 2, 4 or 6 years. He wasn't mentally ready for this one. Maybe the expectations were big and he couldn't handle them? He'll be ready in 2 or 4 years.

Now he needs a proper rest.
Agree with the first bit.

Pointless being there, the team doesn't play in the way required to get the best out of him, just wasted and his head went down when people wouldn't play forward passes into the pockets he was taking up. You still expect world class players to have some impact regardless of the setup but I think he was fed up in the end.

If England don't get a good technical coach in you will never see the best of Foden.

Pointless being there, the team doesn't play in the way required to get the best out of him, just wasted and his head went down when people wouldn't play forward passes into the pockets he was taking up. You still expect world class players to have some impact regardless of the setup but I think he was fed up in the end.

If England don't get a good technical coach in you will never see the best of Foden.
Totally agree, give him a good 3 weeks rest with his family, then get him back to being coached properly away from the frankly useless Southgate/Holland.

His performances have been mainly dictated by the tactics he’s been forced to endure. The media criticism of him has been unfair and selective. 7.2 miles run in the final is more than any other England player and is 1.1 miles more than the boy genius Bellingham. He’s working hard, making the runs and isn’t getting the ball. This isn’t down to him and the majority of our wonderful pundits and journalists are deliberately blind to this basic fact. He’ll recover from the disappointment and be back to his brilliant best next season. Why can’t he play like that for England the numpties will cry? Perhaps giving him the ball in the right areas of the pitch would be a good start.

Congratulation the last 2 comments above me, just turned Phil Foden into a system player…

Put him in the Spain team where Olmo was playing and I bet he would have been brilliant. Put Iniesta in for Foden under Southgate and I bet he would have pulled his own eyes out. Foden is a system player of sorts, modern technical pass and move football, if all your attacks are bypassing midfield then there is no point playing him. Down to him to adapt though he would be very lucky to go through his entire career getting to play in the way he prefers.

We can be as blinkered as we like but foden has had a very poor tournament. We cant blame other players for not finding him etc, its just not happened for him

You could insert the names of any of the front four here and it's still true. Southgate is a woeful manager who can't get the best front 4 at the tournament to look even average.

Put him in the Spain team where Olmo was playing and I bet he would have been brilliant. Put Iniesta in for Foden under Southgate and I bet he would have pulled his own eyes out. Foden is a system player of sorts, modern technical pass and move football, if all your attacks are bypassing midfield then there is no point playing him. Down to him to adapt though he would be very lucky to go through his entire career getting to play in the way he prefers.
Of course like you said I agree with your initial thought, don’t understand me wrong, but Foden is way too good to play so ineffective no matter who the coach is. You have worse or at best equally classy player to Foden having left some impact for england in this tournament, and sadly one of them was that arrogant prick from Real Madrid.

Foden need more nastiness and attitude in those big games.

You’ve got to be honest and admit he had a pretty poor tournament. 0 goals or assists. You can synthesise that he’s playing behind an actual snail and a player next to him that doesn’t want to pass him the ball.
Yet had a hand in all 3 disallowed goals, hit the post a few times and a good few other really good attempts across Margins away from statistically having the kind of tournament that would have the stat nerds drooling over him. And that's despite playing so far within himself most of the time compared to what us blues know he is capable of.

He wasn't remotely as bad as some non-City fans thought, but he had a poor tournament.

Guess it was a combination of being a bit tired, Southgate's tactics, being somewhat shy (in contrast to Bellingham)...

I think he'll have a great tournament in 2, 4 or 6 years. He wasn't mentally ready for this one. Maybe the expectations were big and he couldn't handle them? He'll be ready in 2 or 4 years.

Now he needs a proper rest.
In 6 years? Let's hope it doesn't come to that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.