47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
People finally got their wish, Foden in his best position, and he was anonymous.

Really disappointing tournament from him.
No denying it was a poor tournament for him. Would argue the only time he was in his best position was against Holland though. Yesterday Southgate shit it again and went back to the formation that didn’t work in the first 4 games. Only difference was he stuck Bellingham on the left. Meant we couldn’t get possession or get up the pitch. Foden’s job was basically to shadow Rodri first half which actually worked. Made for a boring half and England’s 2 most talented players sacrificed. As once again Southgate went negative and worried more about the opposition.

No denying it was a poor tournament for him. Would argue the only time he was in his best position was against Holland though. Yesterday Southgate shit it again and went back to the formation that didn’t work in the first 4 games. Only difference was he stuck Bellingham on the left. Meant we couldn’t get possession or get up the pitch. Foden’s job was basically to shadow Rodri first half which actually worked. Made for a boring half and England’s 2 most talented players sacrificed. As once again Southgate went negative and worried more about the opposition.
Southgate was far too cautious in this tournament and a lot of England players suffered because of this.

No, 7 games and 0 goals/assists is a poor tournament by the lowest of low standards. he couldn't have had a worse tournament if he tried. all you've given are excuses, what do you mean players not up to standards? harry kane is not up to standards at city? bellingham? saka? rice? all players at some point or another we tried to get! bollocks.

at the start it was all "why isnt he playing centrally", then he was moved centrally and simply ran away from the ball every time. got into positions to make sure no one can find him, doesn't ask for the ball. no i'm sorry but phil's frankly shambolic tournament is on him

I don't care since I couldn't care less about England

Doesn't ask for the ball? He's was constantly doing so.

He wasn't running away from the ball, he was running into space like he does for the best team around, in a league where he was player of the year. It's not primary school footy where they all chase the ball.

He takes up a lot of good positions but England as a team unit just can't keep the ball well, move defences around and eventually find players like Foden. It's not just their inability to find Foden, even players like Saka usually rely on a big hoof down the wing and hope the bounce is in his favour.

England need to keep the ball better, learn how to move teams around if they have any ambition to get the most out of talented creative players. Otherwise they're going to be relying on moments which may win you some games but won't win you a trophy.

How many big goals has he scored for City in big games? Let's not have a Bluemoon pile on people the lad is class. He wasn't on his own having an under parr tournament.
Not having a pile on just making an observation. The pressure playing for England compared to city isn’t the same imo. It also took him a while to really cement himself as one of the main players in the city side (didn’t start champions league final or fa cup final last year for example). Arguably last season was his first as the main man.

I just don’t think he has that arrogant personality that you need to be truly one of the world’s best which given his ability is his ceiling.

Just cannot understand why he doesn't put players in their strongest position, instruct them to play the way they have so far evolved, and see how that goes. Unfortunately, he has favourites to put in and it means a team that is lop-sided, unbalanced and very unclear how they are to go at the opponents.

Just cannot understand why he doesn't put players in their strongest position, instruct them to play the way they have so far evolved, and see how that goes. Unfortunately, he has favourites to put in and it means a team that is lop-sided, unbalanced and very unclear how they are to go at the opponents.
Yeah. The only time i enjoyed watching England all tournament was the first half against Holland.Where we pushed up the pitch and got Mainoo, Foden and Saka linking up together. The rest of it was dross unless we were behind and then we’d go for it until we equalised

Let’s face it if Phil wasn’t a city player he would be getting pelters on here. He had a poor tournament. It’s ok we can say that. It doesn’t make us any less city fans or Phil foden fans.

He took numerous corners free kicks and his delivery was largely poor. I wonder if he lacks that arrogance to really be a truly elite player. With his ability he should be running the show but instead he just takes the ball and lays it off

Compare his demeanour to that of palmer or Bellingham I think that is what Phil is missing. There is no doubt for me Phil is more talented than those two but he seems to lack their arrogance which allows them to have huge moments.
I think he 'knows his place' in the England set up. Didn't Southgate send him home once, so he might just realise he is not the shoe-in like 'Arry or Bellingham, and ends up following the letter he has been given by the manager. He rarely seems to exhibit the flare we see week in week out at The Etihad. It's quite clear that Phil responds to Pep far more than he ever would do with Southgate.

Anyway fuck it

He'll be back playing for a proper team soon, showing how good is.

Any fans of other teams giving him pelters, saying he's overrated etc will be the ones worried about him when their teams face city. No doubt the rags will be saying that, even though he tears them a new arsehole almost every time he plays against them.

He wasn't remotely as bad as some non-City fans thought, but he had a poor tournament.

Guess it was a combination of being a bit tired, Southgate's tactics, being somewhat shy (in contrast to Bellingham)...

I think he'll have a great tournament in 2, 4 or 6 years. He wasn't mentally ready for this one. Maybe the expectations were big and he couldn't handle them? He'll be ready in 2 or 4 years.

Now he needs a proper rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.