47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 6 years? Let's hope it doesn't come to that

Platini had great tournaments only after turning 27. His best tournaments were in 84 and 86, he was 29-31 y.o. at the time.

Some players are late bloomers. Might be the same with Phil wrt international football. Better later than never.

Doesn't ask for the ball? He's was constantly doing so.

He wasn't running away from the ball, he was running into space like he does for the best team around, in a league where he was player of the year. It's not primary school footy where they all chase the ball.

He takes up a lot of good positions but England as a team unit just can't keep the ball well, move defences around and eventually find players like Foden. It's not just their inability to find Foden, even players like Saka usually rely on a big hoof down the wing and hope the bounce is in his favour.

England need to keep the ball better, learn how to move teams around if they have any ambition to get the most out of talented creative players. Otherwise they're going to be relying on moments which may win you some games but won't win you a trophy.
firmly disagree, I think he wasn't asking for the ball enough at all, I did not like the positions he was taking at all

firmly disagree, I think he wasn't asking for the ball enough at all, I did not like the positions he was taking at all

You not liking his positions is OK.

Thinking he wasn't asking for the ball is nonsense though, you must have been half asleep watching the games.

Anyway, I bet the players around him at City would've found him in those positions, as they always do without much trouble.

Maybe that's Foden's fault though, he was moving into positions thinking less competent passers could pick him out, an error of judgement on his part. Maybe he should've adapted his game and move into positions to suit poor passers of the ball like Rice, instead of thinking they could pick him out like Rodri could.

Phil should have been dropped after the first or second game. He might have been better coming on as an impact player.
or played in the position he was given v the Dutch, were he showed he was the best player in the team until halftime when the waistcoat moved him back to the left wing.

He didn't play well in the other games but not for lack of effort, there are people on X with videos of his showing for the ball constantly bu t never getting the pass.

Rice, in particular, was bad for doing what Rodri does ie passing through the lines and folk wanted us to pay 106m for him, giggles insanely.

Bellingham just wanted to be the man and barely passed to Phil or indeed Mainoo either bar his overhead kick he was shit as well but somehow ended up rated England's best player lol

That was, of course, Stones.

No surprise that England’s best 45 minutes and Foden’s best 45 minutes of the tournament coincided with each other, only time he had players able/willing to link up with him in the final third.

Apart from that England were just a moments team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.