47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope he has a nice few weeks on holiday with his family. At least he’ll be getting back to a proper manager and teammates who aren’t worried about him shining!

Hang on a minute…..look what he’s got in his cabinet at 24 ffs, Kev and Dave didn’t have that at that age so I ain’t having that
That's not really relevant to the point the guy was making though.
No, 7 games and 0 goals/assists is a poor tournament by the lowest of low standards. he couldn't have had a worse tournament if he tried. all you've given are excuses, what do you mean players not up to standards? harry kane is not up to standards at city? bellingham? saka? rice? all players at some point or another we tried to get! bollocks.

at the start it was all "why isnt he playing centrally", then he was moved centrally and simply ran away from the ball every time. got into positions to make sure no one can find him, doesn't ask for the ball. no i'm sorry but phil's frankly shambolic tournament is on him

I don't care since I couldn't care less about england

Phil hit the post a couple of times, had a few other good efforts and had a role in 3 disallowed goals. The lad was margins away from a very credible tournament. All that despite playing well within himself compared to what we all know he's capable of.

Calling his tournament shambolic is just a stupid thing to say. You'd think he gave the ball away with every touch the way you're talking about him.

That's not really relevant to the point the guy was making though.

Phil hit the post a couple of times, had a few other good efforts and had a role in 3 disallowed goals. The lad was margins away from a very credible tournament. All that despite playing well within himself compared to what we all know he's capable of.

Calling his tournament shambolic is just a stupid thing to say. You'd think he gave the ball away with every touch the way you're talking about him.

Well it quite clearly was, so I made the point of what he’s achieved in his short career upto now, to be considered as a “top” player like the other two mentioned, the post was too dismissive, but then you know that

Well it quite clearly was, so I made the point of what he’s achieved in his short career upto now, to be considered as a “top” player like the other two mentioned, the post was too dismissive, but then you know that
I didn't read it like that tbf I think the guy was more along the lines of when things aren't quite going our way, who are we turning to to take back control of games. Silva was absolutely integral to our entire style of play pretty much from the moment he joined. He was synonymous with our possession based football. And kev at his best has been a real driving force for us over the years in addition to his insane numbers of assists etc. Phil isn't offering that same control in games but that more due to the type of player he is rather than the level he's operating at, because he's as capable as anyone in the world of delivering match winning moments.
It's maybe not about levels but just about the type of player they are. As I said Kev and Silva could control games. Foden is exceptional when you get the ball to him in the right areas for him to do damage, but he's not dictating a game.

That's the only reason I say bringing medals into it isn't relevant because i don't think that's what the guy was getting at.

I didn't read it like that tbf I think the guy was more along the lines of when things aren't quite going our way, who are we turning to to take back control of games. Silva was absolutely integral to our entire style of play pretty much from the moment he joined. He was synonymous with our possession based football. And kev at his best has been a real driving force for us over the years in addition to his insane numbers of assists etc. Phil isn't offering that same control in games but that more due to the type of player he is rather than the level he's operating at, because he's as capable as anyone in the world of delivering match winning moments.
It's maybe not about levels but just about the type of player they are. As I said Kev and Silva could control games. Foden is exceptional when you get the ball to him in the right areas for him to do damage, but he's not dictating a game.

That's the only reason I say bringing medals into it isn't relevant because i don't think that's what the guy was getting at.

Control or whatever we are a better side with Foden in it, and hopefully will have him for at least 8 more years, he’s a great player, medals don’t need to come into it you’re right to a degree, but shows also the calibre of the guy with the individual award he got last season, fuck England and performance levels there I’m more interested in what he does for us, and when played in the preferred position he’s bloody good

I've nothing against Rice but this tournament did show some of his limitations which put the madness of his valuation in perspective. Watching Bellingham ignore Phil was unsurprising but with Rice I couldn't work out if the myriad of missed opportunities to play into him were his own lack of confidence that he could pass accurately enough or, more likely I think, him not seeing the positions Foden had adopted as promising ones. My guess was he probably did see at least a number of opportunities to pass as too high risk because he isn't used week in and week out to seeing Phil work in what he perceived as relatively small amounts of space but which in practice were more than large enough for Foden to be productive.

Though I got frustrated at times with Phil's seeming inability to adapt to the level of player/system he had around him I'm not sure how easy or realistic that would have been to do in practice.

Tbh the myth surrounding Rice was totally exposed as genuine media hype when judged on his performances in the Euro's.

Out of his depth in every game.

Whilst Phil didn't manage to impose his normal game it is hardly surprising considering the piss poor service he got from the arrogant golden boy Bellingham and the inability of Rice.

But it is hardly a surprise considering the quality and integrity of our media .

It's like no one is allowed to call out Phil's performance on this thread.

I think you and few others have done exactly that, which is an opinion that you are absolutely entitled to. It's just that the majority appear to either disagree or at least consider the mitigating circumstances to be greater than you do. I was thinking what realistically could he have done on his own to change things up and for everything I thought of I could think of a valid counter reason why it wouldn't have worked.

I think the harshest criticism that you can reasonably argue is that he is used to playing in a much more coherent system, with better players and for a manager who doesn't countenance players not following his instructions; and because of that he ultimately wasn't able to magically improvise an alternative way of playing to single handedly drag us over the line when as a team we were more than a bit of a mess.

You could argue that says from a personality perspective he is not able to suddenly impose his will on a game in the way that say Messi could but I don't think anyone's using Messi as the benchmark are they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.