47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

False 9 and midfielders are 2 different type of positions. The skillset is very similar but the mindset is different. Phil did not need to worry too much about hold his position or how to help Rodri in defense when he played as a false 9. I think that Phil just needs to get more games in the middle to shape his midfielder's mindset and then he will get there.

If you expect him to instantly replace KDB, of course you're gonna be disappointed.

Set unrealistic expectations > overreact.
Influence the game isn't 'replace' Kevin. Don't be absent or non descript.

He was very poor.

What should City do? Stick with Foden, risk McAtee or buy a replacement for KDB?

No answers are wrong. They could well define the season though. Or not.
I think the issue at the moment is that Phil produces goals and assists when hes wide. Pep even mentioned it when questioned.

He needs time in the middle to get his head there but it costs us goals and assists. We could continue and see what happens with Palmer or Doku. Palmer looks like hes growing in that role.

Foden is clearly talented but does seem like he needs to take the next step, not sure if it's a mental thing or a positional thing but he's 23 now he should be front and centre showing that, as of right now, he's one of the best players in the world, not just one of the best player as and when he's on form

Nothing to worry about, and don't want to be too harsh, but with a natural talent like Phil he should arguably be doing more and more consistently

I'd still be starting him every week (before everyone jumps on me saying how I'm being too harsh)

Yep.....he wasn't great last night......but that wasn't the game to judge his future as a 10.

Akanji,who through largely no fault of his own,was one of his supply lines ffs!

Phil is an incredible talent,im really not sure some of you realise.
He's an incredible talent, probably the most naturally talented players ever to come through the club, but it's time for him to dominate games week in week out and he will have a better opportunity with the loss of KDB.

I posted this on the match thread:

You can clearly see Foden working through two different attacking mentalities. Gets the ball in the middle and wants to turn and go go go, then realizes he needs to be more still and let things happen around him, and by then he’s got to move it on. He’ll get there, but he needs more minutes in the middle to change his brain. The longer he plays on the wing the harder the transition will be

Please let’s let the kid actually have a consistent run of games in the middle. Something that he’s never had as opposed to KDB, silva etc who’ve all been regular fixtures in midfield.

We can’t expect the guy to produce city level midfield performances straight away. Let him make mistakes, let him ghost matches, let him struggle, let him play poor. Allow him the opportunity to grow into this role.

Yesterdays match was frustrating but it’s early in the season. It’s like asking a lad who’s barely driven cars to drive as well as a pro driver, it’s never gonna happen unless you get time and consistency.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.