47 | Phil Foden - 2023/24

Another game he couldn’t dictate. Not a dig, just an observation.

There are certain posters on here that won’t take any constructive criticism of Foden and will use any others’ postings of him not being what they expected Foden to be by 23 as hyper criticism.

He is still really young. we also now need him to win us games more for the next 4 months now that KDB is injured.

Do these posters want us to believe in Phil and see where we are in December, or add a player that may limit his game time because we can’t rely on Foden yet?

If you expect him to instantly replace KDB, of course you're gonna be disappointed.

Set unrealistic expectations > overreact.

If you expect him to instantly replace KDB, of course you're gonna be disappointed.

Set unrealistic expectations > overreact.
What should City do? Stick with Foden, risk McAtee or buy a replacement for KDB?

No answers are wrong. They could well define the season though. Or not.

Another game he couldn’t dictate. Not a dig, just an observation.

There are certain posters on here that won’t take any constructive criticism of Foden and will use any others’ postings of him not being what they expected Foden to be by 23 as hyper criticism.

He is still really young. we also now need him to win us games more for the next 4 months now that KDB is injured.

Do these posters want us to believe in Phil and see where we are in December, or add a player that may limit his game time because we can’t rely on Foden yet?
He's just not where we/I hoped he would be. Flashes in matches but just not enough. I thought he would be something truly special for city and England. Now I'm not so sure.

I think, because expectations are so lofty, and rightly so, people are disappointed that Phil isn't David Silva or KDB level yet.

That being said, I don't think he's far off where those two were at 23.

My last contribution to the current discourse on Phil as a creator/central playmaker. He is not a central midfielder, cannot conduct the game, doesn't think like a CM and certainly doesn't move like one. Takes up positions deep into the final third in close proximity to opposition defenders effectively marking himself out the game. Heavy tendencies to play the ball to the wide winger too soon, as the playmaker better option would be to retain the ball, wait for forward movement then release, just a few of things noticed regarding his central game.

LW or RW if he's fit he starts every game in one of those posistions, people thinking he'll grow into the CM posistion with more minutes is wishful thinking.

to be fair to foden however he is one of the few that isnt always just looking for a safe pass..he is trying to create and these are the harder passes that wont always come off...like KDB said in his interview about how stats on passing can be misleading.....especially when comparing players who are looking for the difficult pass (ie foden) compared to those who just pass sideways and backwards more often than not

What should City do? Stick with Foden, risk McAtee or buy a replacement for KDB?

No answers are wrong. They could well define the season though. Or not.

I don't think the situation is as dire as some are painting it out to be, but Pep will definitely need to tweak the system. There's no one on the market or in our squad who can be as effective as KDB, that's the harsh reality. But the quality is there and with the right tweaks we can make it work. That's what Pep is here for.

My last contribution to the current discourse on Phil as a creator/central playmaker. He is not a central midfielder, cannot conduct the game, doesn't think like a CM and certainly doesn't move like one. Takes up positions deep into the final third in close proximity to opposition defenders effectively marking himself out the game. Heavy tendencies to play the ball to the wide winger too soon, as the playmaker better option would be to retain the ball, wait for forward movement then release, just a few of things noticed regarding his central game.

LW or RW if he's fit he starts every game in one of those posistions, people thinking he'll grow into the CM posistion with more minutes is wishful thinking.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.